Peachy Bird and cider bacon braises sprouts!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I didn't know schmaltz, but its the proper name for the chicken fat in Matzo balls I bet.

Soooooo.... with an inquiring mind I step out on the internet highway looking for info to verify my assumption and low and behold to my surprize a Rhulman recipe! I have only had Matza ball soup once when it was great totally delicious (I won't bore you with a fantastic story here), the other times it was sort of a sad attempt with thick heavy dough.

I found this and have got to try it now. So I wonder, Case have you made it before?

http://ruhlman.com/2013/03/matzo-ball-soup-recipe/

Thanks Case, for leading me to inlightenment!

Oo Oo Oo Oo........ why couldn't you use the schmaltz AND the crisp fried chicken skins with the brussel sprouts? Maybe the skin wouild lose it crispness.... <sighs>

Last edited:

I didn't know schmaltz, but its the proper name for the chicken fat in Matzo balls I bet.

Soooooo.... with an inquiring mind I step out on the internet highway looking for info to verify my assumption and low and behold to my surprize a Rhulman recipe! I have only had Matza ball soup once when it was great totally delicious (I won't bore you with a fantastic story here), the other times it was sort of a sad attempt with thick heavy dough.

I found this and have got to try it now. So I wonder, Case have you made it before?

http://ruhlman.com/2013/03/matzo-ball-soup-recipe/

Thanks Case, for leading me to inlightenment!

Oo Oo Oo Oo........ why couldn't you use the schmaltz AND the crisp fried chicken skins with the brussel sprouts? Maybe the skin wouild lose it crispness.... <sighs>
Yep! Rhulman's book on schmaltz is great.

I did use the schmaltz in the brussels sprouts. The gribenness didn't make it, had some snacking going on prior to cooking the brussels!

Foamheart, in theory you could sprinkle the gribenes on the sprouts at the very end, as a crispy topping.

But, as somebody once said, in theory, theory and reality are the same; in reality, they're not. Once you make some you'll learn that gribenes is the cook's reward, and it rarely makes it any further than his or her mouth.

Foamheart, in theory you could sprinkle the gribenes on the sprouts at the very end, as a crispy topping.

But, as somebody once said, in theory, theory and reality are the same; in reality, they're not. Once you make some you'll learn that gribenes is the cook's reward, and it rarely makes it any further than his or her mouth.
Perception is reality, Theory is an illusion. ~ Foamheart

I agree, I skinned 10 pounds of thighs to try those chicken sausages, I knew there had to be something good I could do with them so in the reefer they went. A couple a days later I cut them in strip and deep fried them. Pop wanted to know if I didn't want to try making chicken sausage again, all he wanted was the chips!

BTW I got some hard apple cider and brussel sprouts this week, just to try this! I know it will not be as good as Case's but it just looks too good not to try and Sprouts are always available. Thereby making it a great recipe that can be made in large or small quantities!

Not expecting to hit a home run the first try BUT.... I can definately see where this recipe will be a keeper!

Case is D'Man!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky