PBBE Chopped Challenge meal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I belong to a foodie group that does a Chopped challenge monthly. In my first month in the group I was honored to win the monthly cover photo challenge. This is my first attempt at the Chopped challenge and I’m pumped to compete! This months “basket” is pork belly, instant grits, lemon lime soda and honey. I pondered going with Asian flavors but went southern instead. Pork belly burnt ends finished in a homemade 7up BBQ sauce on a white cheddar and chive griddled grit cake with sweet and spicy fried grit breaded green tomatoes and pickled red onion. The creamy grits inside the crispy cake with the rich melt in your mouth pork is decadent. The fried tomato and tangy onions really complement the richness of the pork. To utilize my basket the pork belly was cubed and then marinated overnight in a diet 7up and soy with garlic solution.I had no time to smoke so did them in the instant pot to tender and then broiled in the oven to finish. The bbq sauce is diet 7up based with sugar free ketchup, Worcestershire, Brown Swerve and spices including onion , garlic, red pepper , black pepper and a little allspice and ginger. Grit cake is instant grits with cheddar and chives stirred in. Refrigerated overnight in circular molds and then fried on the griddle until nice and crispy. Green tomatoes are dredged in cornmeal , egg wash and then instant grits mixed with red pepper and paprika, fried and brushed with honey. Lastly the red onion was quick pickled in apple cider vinegar , Swerve sweetener and some red pepper. Pretty tasty, I kept the belly and sauce keto so I can eat it. The rest goes to our daughter and she doesn’t mind lol Judging is on use of the basket, originality and plating. Competition is stiff so we shall see thanks for looking!
083BD898-A78F-46C7-A48D-274BD4972B20.jpeg
9E0F2207-FA29-4F0D-AA76-1FBBC7F5C27E.jpeg
A954A11A-0EBE-4958-AB1B-5DECDF4FE472.jpeg
98234663-8230-4148-B9E6-5FB6767BAC40.jpeg
409ED00A-8EE9-4357-8A5F-B7D6BD5D79EC.jpeg

Good grief Jeff, what incredible creativity! I'm thinking it won't be long until you are taking on one of the Iron Chef's in the stadium kitchen, fantastic piece of work, huge Like, RAY

Another beautiful meal! And as Ray said...your creativity is never-ending. Job well done!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff, everything looks incredible! The last plated shot is definitely money. Very original and delicious I'm sure. Great work, let us know how you did.

Agree with the others. You're talented and looks great! My old man's chicken marinade is based on 7up/sprite.

I don’t know Jeff, without seeing the competition, I’m still thinking you have a leg up on everybody else! The creavity and presentation is just off the charts.

Where do I sign up as a judge to taste all your dishes?

I like the addition of the chives to the grit cakes. I like doing those but never figured to add chives because it’s usually made from leftovers. I need to try this!

Agree with the others. You're talented and looks great! My old man's chicken marinade is based on 7up/sprite.
I saw quite a few things online with 7up based chicken marinade. Also found a pretty cool Filipino recipe for a sauce with 7up for pork belly skewers but it required banana ketchup. Was going to make my own but had time constraints.

Spectacular. Hopefully the Browns look that good today. I have them on the money line at +400 😂
Looks delicious to me Jeff. Winner in my book!
Good grief Jeff, what incredible creativity! I'm thinking it won't be long until you are taking on one of the Iron Chef's in the stadium kitchen, fantastic piece of work, huge Like, RAY
Another beautiful meal! And as Ray said...your creativity is never-ending. Job well done!

Ryan
Jeff, everything looks incredible! The last plated shot is definitely money. Very original and delicious I'm sure. Great work, let us know how you did.
Man that looks absolutely fantastic!
Great job & a winner for sure!
Al
I don’t know Jeff, without seeing the competition, I’m still thinking you have a leg up on everybody else! The creavity and presentation is just off the charts.

Where do I sign up as a judge to taste all your dishes?

I like the addition of the chives to the grit cakes. I like doing those but never figured to add chives because it’s usually made from leftovers. I need to try this!
View attachment 481751

Very nice Jeff love the creativity using the crazy ingredients. Hope you pulled th win off!!
Looks like some Tasty Stuff, right there, Jeff!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks for the kind words. Lol I don’t know about Iron Chef anytime soon but I am trying to work at stepping. up my game. One of my competitors in the challenge is a chef who was just invited by Bon Appetit magazine to participate in their favorite chefs challenge. She has a chance to win $25k and a monthly feature. She’s usually pretty complimentary of my posts so maybe she will point me in the right direction lol. I fully intend to get in on things like that within the next year.

Oh man! That plate is almost too pretty to eat. I bet those flavors just work good together. Definite winner in my book.
Jim

Oh man! That plate is almost too pretty to eat. I bet those flavors just work good together. Definite winner in my book.
Jim
Thanks man!! The flavors went well together for sure. Most of all the pickled onions with the pork are money. I took a small taste with the grit cake and tomato too and loved it. Couldn’t Wolf it due to the carbs haha.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky