Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normht

Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Clermont Florida
I'm in the process of curing a beef brisket for a pastrami.I'm using a dry cure and after rubbing the brisket down good with the cure I vacume sealed the meat instead of using the standard ziploc bag.Any thoughts on vacume seal vs ziploc storage for the curing process?Thanks Norm

Hey Norm, welcome to the forums. Some say it will cure faster in a vac bag, I really can't say one way or the other.

I have done it both ways with great results

I really like the vac seal bag for a couple of reasons. You have the option not to evacuate all the air if you want and you never have to worry about it leaking. When I cure bacon, I only seal the bag without a removing the oxygen so the cure can work its magic.  I used to remove all the oxygen and the bacon never took on the mahogony color it does with the oxygen in the bag.

Thanks for the response guys.I just thought the vacume sealed bag would slow the cure process down.I'm going to leave it in the cure for about 2 weeks then pull it out, put it in the Master Forge for about 4 hrs at about 140deg (lower if I can get it)with hickory smoke and then into 180deg water bath for 3 hrs.Any thoughts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky