Pastrami time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
Good evening lads. Now that St. Patty's Day is past, It's time to go get those cured briskets for a fraction of original price and start making some pastrami. I sacrifice one to the crock pot with cabbage, carrots, potatoes and some onion just for good luck, but the rest will be headed to the smoker, the slicer, and then the griddle for some reubens!

Got 5 for $ 4.99 / lb today. That's not much more than ground beef. I think I'm going to get a few more to keep in the freezer.
For anyone that doesn't cure their own briskets, this is a cheaper way to go. Just be sure to soak them for a an hour or more to drag some of the salt out of them.
Packer briskets are $7.99 a lb and 50% of them are inedible fat, let alone the curing process that takes a week or so. I've done it both ways and even with a tri tip to boot, but I don't walk past a good deal like these.

I picked up a quad of flat cuts for $2.99lb, might go back for more tomorrow. I still had four left in the freezer that I bought at Sam's Club for twice that price. RAY

Reactions: pit 4 brains
I'm trying once again to convert Corned Beef into Pastrami. If edible I'll post up. Got the Corned Beef from Lidl on sale $3.49 a pound, Grobell brand. I still have 2 full packers in the Deep Freeze from last year. Gotta use them sometime this year, lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky