Pastrami from a whole brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wboggs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 27, 2018
Temple, TX
BIG EMBARRASSING MISTAKE GUYS, KI MEANT PASTRAMI. I changed the title of the thread.

I bought 2 briskets that are supposed to be full packers but as I look at them, there's hardly a point. I'd love to make pastrami but in Texas, at my restaurant supply, you can't buy just the flats. So question is, since there is barely a point, can I just make the pastrami from the whole piece is it sits?

https://ibb.co/VJQx6YH

Last edited:
I guess I'll join the chorus. Prosciutto is a seasoned, uncooked, dry-cured, and air-aged hind leg of a pig or, in some cases, a wild boar.

SO any comments on my question or just that I made a mistake on the meat I was trying to make?

Because the brisket is so flat, can I make pastrami from the whole thing?

Sorry guys, I'm just trying to get some input and have corrected my mistake. Please don't hold that against my answer.

SO any comments on my question or just that I made a mistake on the meat I was trying to make?

Because the brisket is so flat, can I make pastrami from the whole thing?

Sorry guys, I'm just trying to get some input and have corrected my mistake. Please don't hold that against my answer.

wboggs,

Of course, you can make pastrami with a brisket flat. I've done it many times over the past 30+ years when whole packers weren't available, which is not uncommon where I've lived. Go for it!

wboggs,

Of course, you can make pastrami with a brisket flat. I've done it many times over the past 30+ years when whole packers weren't available, which is not uncommon where I've lived. Go for it!
My question was can I make it from a whole brisket, not just the flat?

I prefer making pastrami from the flat versus a point.

I blame a Malaprop (wrong word, but similar) as "auto-corrupt".
My classic was referring to a prosthetic as a prophylactic
Well the point of my post (no pun intended) is that I have 2 briskets that are shaped almost as if there isn't a point. Hence the question can I make if from a whole brisket with a point barely thicker than a flat?

Believe it or not I live in Texas where everything's bigger except 2 car garages and now brisket points. I'm buying this from a restaurant supply house.

As dls1 also replied yes. No rules against using the whole brisket.

Local US Foods distribution center has walk-in retail, but I never checked on briskets.
Buddies get pig wings from there.

I usually get them from club stores or Wally world when I can find it discounted

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky