Pastrami # 5....6.....I can't remember. But here it is any way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheezeerider

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Red Hill, PA
This is the first thing I smoked that turned out really good, so I've been doing them regularly. It is a point, but I'm getting them so cheap, I can't resist. (About .94 per lb.) Is a flat any less fatty? These are ok, but one end always has so much fat on top. But the wife likes that part so oh well. Any way, here it is. I did this along with a poirk loin roast that I already posted.

The brisket is rubbed with yellow mustard and the rub is composed of the pack that came with it and hole peppercorns, granulated garlic, dried minced onion and some paprika. (Sounded different so I figured what the heck. It's what I had around). All mashed up in the mortar and pestal.

0876762b_SANY0023.jpg

Here it is at about the 2 1/2 hour mark while spritzing the pork loin.

850f587c_SANY0025.jpg

Huh.... no shots fresh from the smoker. I was more worried about the pork loin I guess. Any way, this was after about 6 hours on the smoker til it reached about 190, a 2 hour steam and a night in the fridge.

f63eb45e_SANY0015.jpg

Here is half of it sliced and ready for sammys. Notice that little piece at the bottom right? Guess who got that? Awwww yeaaaahhh.

ac92e271_SANY0016.jpg

Ready for the fridge. See the few pieces missing on the right side? That's the fatty side and the wife couldn't resist.

af59a4ba_SANY0017.jpg

That's about it. Simple enough but still a fan favorite around here.

Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: meateater
SWEET 'STRAMI, I must say!!!!!!!!!

Yea, the flat is a very lean muscle, with the point being more marbled.

Keep it up, 'cause that is just down-right beautiful!

Eric

Was it brisket or corned beef in the liquid package?  sure looks good but looks like it has been in a cure.  I'd love to do one of these bad boys, My cardiologist loves me!

Was it brisket or corned beef in the liquid package?  sure looks good but looks like it has been in a cure.  I'd love to do one of these bad boys, My cardiologist loves me!
It was a corned beef point. Like I said, I've been getting them so cheap that I have quite a few in the freezer and when I smoke something I just throw one of these on as well. The taste is great but the one end is just mostly fat so I want to get a flat one of these days.

Thanks

Looks Great Cheezee, You got that Pastrami down pat!

Glad my wife doesn't like the fatty part---Wouldn't want to fight her for it. I'm eating better these days. When we have Rib Eye or Prime Rib, I only eat the fat from mine. I used to eat the fat from hers too!

Bear

icon_cool.gif

The pastrami looks great and the fat = flavor to me too. Tell the wife she's knows her flavors in them meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky