Passing it on

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doubles shooter

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Upstate Western NY
My 6 year old grandson is going to carry on my passion. He finally got a chance to help take a deer from hanging to baloney with me. He helped this week. He's always had a fascination for knives and has claimed several of mine already.
Here he is stripping the carcass. All business.
1014191545.jpg

He helped cut the meat before we ground it. He also had to show his 10 year old sister how it was done. He sounded like he has Been doing it longer than me.
1017191738b.jpg
1017191739a.jpg

The fun part.
1017191818_Burst01.jpg

The proud look he had when he learned all my equipment will be his some day.
1017191845.jpg

20 pounds of baloney and 27 pounds of Canadian bacon this load.
1018190817.jpg

1018191838a.jpg

1019190521.jpg

He's all excited about making our family sausage later this week. I think I'm more excited than he is. It takes me back over 60 year when I helped my grandfather.

Great tradition. That's about when I started. Never had venison bologna. Sounds like a great idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Just awesome. First the food looks amazing but the passing it on is awesome!! Very glad he’s taken interest and given you this opportunity to do so.

So very nice to know that this knowledge will be passed on to a new generation. Very well done. :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

JC :emoji_cat:

My 6 year old grandson is going to carry on my passion. He finally got a chance to help take a deer from hanging to baloney with me. He helped this week. He's always had a fascination for knives and has claimed several of mine already.
View attachment 408858

He helped cut the meat before we ground it. He also had to show his 10 year old sister how it was done. He sounded like he has Been doing it longer than me.
View attachment 408859 View attachment 408860

The fun part.
View attachment 408861

View attachment 408862

View attachment 408864
View attachment 408865
View attachment 408866

He's all excited about making our family sausage later this week. I think I'm more excited than he is. It takes me back over 60 year when I helped my grandfather.
So very cool. Like

Thanks for the likes and great comments everyone. I love their youthful enthusiasm. The bologna recipe is our favorite so far. It's from the Sausage Makers book. I just sub venison for beef in the recipe. Works great.

Reactions: jcam222
Very cool. Push the Knife Safety. I learned to pay attention to where my fingers were at 8, after taking the tip of of my thumb off! 50 years later, cuts are rare. My Dad and I started my girls early too. Was pretty proud to have kids that could make Pasta at 6 and part out a whole Chicken by 9 years old...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
I love having the grandkids help cook. I spent about 30 years working with cub scouts and boy scouts. One of the first things you learn is that they love fire, smoke, anything sharp, and eating..
Great job passing your skills and traditions on to the next generation !

Very cool. Push the Knife Safety. I learned to pay attention to where my fingers were at 8, after taking the tip of of my thumb off! 50 years later, cuts are rare. My Dad and I started my girls early too. Was pretty proud to have kids that could make Pasta at 6 and part out a whole Chicken by 9 years old...JJ
Yes, He has been doing a great job safety wise. He also uses a small meat hook to help keep out of harms way. He too, like you and his Papa learned about thumbs losing against knives when he was 4.

View attachment 408858

View attachment 408859 View attachment 408860

The fun part.
View attachment 408861

View attachment 408862

View attachment 408864
View attachment 408865
View attachment 408866

Attachments

• 73213FA1-B571-49D0-A9DC-60C0C9FD06BD.jpeg
    73213FA1-B571-49D0-A9DC-60C0C9FD06BD.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky