Partial cook pork butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boatsNhoes

Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
Have a 12.5 lb pork butt Im going to smoke/cook on my GMG. I need it done by 3pm on Saturday. Is there safety issues or concerns with smoking it for its 4-6 hrs at 225 the night prior, wrapping it and putting in the fridge overnight and then finishing off Saturday morning for the remainder 4-6 hours at 350? Any other suggestions? I just dont want to wake up at 3am to get it started.

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
BAD IDEA !!!!!!!
The partial cooking encourages bacterial growth, even while it is cooling back to below 40F.......
Then again while it is heating up......
If you are in a hurry to cook it, remove the shoulder blade and cut the roast in half....
I do that on occasion to get more smoke and more bark for pulled pork...
Here's two butts I split.... in the smoker.... They are sitting on Todd's Q-Matz.... Todd is a long time member here and a great, friendly person.... He developed the AMNPS and AMNTS etc... and sells them also.....

001.JPG
002.JPG

Last edited:
+1

Also, I am of the opinion that stuff smoked and reheated later is actually better than served immediately.

Z, morning.... 4-6 hours at 225F will not get the butt above 140F....

For a 12.5 pork butt, do you think it would be ok to start around midnight and let smoke all night (8-9 hrs) at 225? Just dont want to over do it.

Good eye Dave! Sorry, I meant if fully cooked and reheated. If I run butts for an occasion I usually make them a week or longer in advance and then reheat. I am long over trying to time the smoke, watching the clock and worrying if I am going to make it.

Reactions: daveomak
Z... I've been there.... Now that I know about pasteurization, I get the meat up to about ~130-135F and turn the smoker down to hold it there for hours... Meat won't dry out and the longer it's held there, more bacteria die making the meat really safe to eat, bag and tag, freeze, whatever... Folks with compromised immune systems can eat it... All the bad stuff is dead....

Pasteurization 6.5D Salmonella.png

1581712323628.png

Last edited:
For a 12.5 pork butt, do you think it would be ok to start around midnight and let smoke all night (8-9 hrs) at 225? Just dont want to over do it.
That’s a good-sized butt. Not sure it would get done in that time and temp. I usually cook an 8-9 lb butt at 230-240 degrees and I’ve never had one take less than 12 hrs. You want the IT to get to around 200-203, in my opinion.

Reactions: zwiller
That’s a good-sized butt. Not sure it would get done in that time and temp. I usually cook an 8-9 lb butt at 230-240 degrees and I’ve never had one take less than 12 hrs. You want the IT to get to around 200-203, in my opinion.

sorry, should have elaborated. Cook at 225 for 8-9 hrs uncovered and unattended. Have all intentions of foil covering for an additional 4-5 hrs after.

sorry, should have elaborated. Cook at 225 for 8-9 hrs uncovered and unattended. Have all intentions of foil covering for an additional 4-5 hrs after.
I use a RecTec pellet grill for butts and I always put the butt on around 9:00 or 10:00pm then go to bed. I personally have never had a problem cooking it unattended overnight. Just make sure your hopper is full. I do, however, have a remote thermometer with phone app which allows me to set high/low alarms. Again, make sure you get your IT to 200-205 and you’ll be golden. Don’t cook solely by time. Butts are pretty forgiving. I don’t think you have a chance of overcooking it in 8-9 hours @ 225.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky