Pancetta Arrotolata Stagionata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Helped my Uncle Demolish an old deck in his back yard Wednesday. He insisted on paying me, I declined. He insisted...Pulled out $140 and said "Go buy a pastured Berkshire pork belly and make pancetta for the family Christmas party..I'm buying." I said, "Yes Sir! That will be done."

So today, I rode up to the butcher and picked up a 14.25# full belly, 2 1/2" thick; $7.69/# which is not bad for the quality of the pork. The butcher shop just moved to a new location in June and they have expanded to include a deli serving hot lunches, thus they had some new employees that did not know me. I asked for a whole pork belly and he went to pull out what they had in the meat case under the counter. I then clarified that I wanted the full whole belly untrimmed. He went got the head butcher. After some chit chat and filling him in on my new chamber, he said give me 10 minutes and I'll have you a whole belly, need to cut it. He pulled out a loin primal and cut the belly off for me.
View attachment 640518
Got home and got to work. Belly trimmed ready to go with Salt, cure and spices...
View attachment 640520
Tools and twine ready to go...
View attachment 640522

seasoned...
View attachment 640523

Sewed...
View attachment 640524
Man that skin was tough like leather! I need to get a different needle. I started and then changed up the suture pattern 1/3rd the way through to close it up better.

I did not have a salted veil which is traditionally used on the ends of the pancetta after it is rolled. But I did have half of a beef bung that worked well. I used a piece of 60mm beef middle cut open lengthwise over the sewn area.
View attachment 640525

and trussed....
View attachment 640529
View attachment 640530
View attachment 640531
View attachment 640526
View attachment 640527
Be ready in 4 months...Just in time for Christmas.

Thanks to Giorgino and David @youtube for the tips on Pancetta Piacentina.

And thanks to Fabrizio @ the Piacentina Consortium Norcini Institute for the instruction on rolling, sewing and trussing Pancetta:

The stuff you put on here is nothing short of spectacular. Can’t wAit to hear how it tastes.

THIS IS THE VIDEO!!!

I was looking and looking for this video the night before I bought my belly....could not find it! I'll be doing another pancetta soon and will definitely do it this way next time for a tight roll and 100% skin coverage!

Reactions: chilerelleno
As Arnold said, "I'll be back."
Thanks Gonnasmoke!

The stuff you put on here is nothing short of spectacular. Can’t wAit to hear how it tastes.
Thanks BB-que. I am having a lot of fun exploring this new craft....and I'm learning a whole lot in the process that is making me better and other areas of my smoking/cooking hobby.

IDS, Professional job right there !!
Thanks Crazy...not perfect, but this was my first time binding a pancetta. I'll do it better next time. I just hope I got this one tight enough....I think I did, but won't know for sure until it dries.

I pulled the pancetta out of my old chamber (set to fridge temps. 37-41*F with 80-85%RH) to massage it. This will accelerate salt equalization within the piece. I also took my rolling pin and wrapped it with cellophane then used it to massage the piece deep and well with a lot of pressure. Then I rehung it in the chamber. I will pull it after 10-14 days, let it hang at room temp. 65-68 for 3 days, then invert and hang for another 3 days. This accelerates the enzymes within the meat and fat for enhanced flavor development. After 6 days will transfer to my new chamber.

Another excellent trussing video:

^^^^First time I've seen paper used to cover the seam on pancetta. But I have seen mention of using "Vegetable paper"...

Last edited:
I removed the Pancetta Stagionata from refrigerator temps. in my old chamber. It has lost 7% weight since rolling it 11 days ago. I hung it in a closet for 24hrs. @74*F; 60%RH. Then moved it to my fermentation can @68*F; 75%RH...will leave it there for another 4 days for flavor development.

The color is really developing nicely...and it smells awesome!!
IMG_20220824_102314.jpg

IMG_20220824_102402.jpg

Beautiful just beautiful! Am speeches! When I grow up I want to be............!
Thanks checkdude. If you want to take the plunge into salumi, whole muscles are the place to start. Much less involved than making salami.

Nice job Swamp you do some beautiful work.

Cal
Thanks smokininthegarden. I have room for improvement, but I get better with every piece I make. I'll get the hang of it eventually....

After 5 days of hanging @ room temperature 68-74*F; 60-75%RH, I moved the Pancetta Stagionata to my new drying chamber for the long wait until Christmas.
IMG_20220827_190551.jpg

It has lost 8.94% so far. I expect it to lose 20-25% by Christmas...

I have been looking and looking for this video!!! This is an english dub of the salumiTV video on Pancetta Piacentina!! I am posting this here so I can find it....and for everyone's enjoyment....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky