P.P. sammies?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I believe it’s a NC thing, could be entirely wrong though.

Was it the mayo based or vinegar based coleslaw? I like the vinegar based better and I think the extra tanginess lightens up the overall heaviness of the pork.

I Don’t usually put coleslaw on PP, but I’ll eat with it on. I prefer just chopped up dill pickles and onion on mine.

Reactions: martin1950
You ponder too much...maybe you are trying lousy cole slaw... maybe you just don't like cole slaw in general and thought that putting it on PP would make it better. Just because you don't prefer it doesn't make it taboo for the rest of us. how about Brussell sprouts, Liver and onion, raw oyster??? feel free to ponder.

Barry.

It's a Carolina thing, but I know quite a few people that like it here in BFE Kansas if you can get them to try it. The tang of the coleslaw is meant to offset the salt/savory of the smoked meat. Kinda similar to how sauerkraut pairs well with corned beef or pastrami.

I like them both ways, just depends on my mood. First had slaw on pulled pork sammies at Corkys in Memphis. But liver and onions, raw oysters - no way on both for me. we all have our preferences :)

Slaw has its place on some sandwiches (Primanti Bros) but not on PP. Proper PP needs no sauce or anything and should stand on its own.

I don't normally put slaw on my PP sammies, but when I do I usually make a run to the KFC. There's something about their slaw that I like.

Chris

I don't normally put slaw on my PP sammies, but when I do I usually make a run to the KFC. There's something about their slaw that I like.

Chris

Agreed, KFCs slaw is one of my favorites and I try to emulate it for when I make or serve slaw.

this is my favorite slaw recipe hand down. it can easily be scaled up or down

Red and Green Cabbage Coleslaw:
1/2 head green cabbage, finely shredded
1/2 head red cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Last edited:
Agreed KFC slaw is good. We make slaw a lot but not for cue. Just doesn't work for us. No baked beans either. Baked potato, mac n cheese, tater or mac salad wins. Not sure if you guys have Lee's Famous but if you do try their green beans. WOW.

I grew up in California and never had pulled pork BBQ until we moved to eastern Tennessee when I was a teenager. First time I had PP it had a light yet tangy mayo slaw on the sandwich. Not knowing any better, I figured that's how you eat PP. Even when we ate at restaurants that didn't serve slaw on their PP, I always ordered slaw and added it to the sandwich.

Later, when I learned to make PP in the oven and a crock pot, the addition of slaw depended on my time and whether I had made it or not. But once I learned to smoke butts outside on the Weber, and I discovered Chef JJ's tangy finishing sauce, slaw became a side dish only. It's been years since I added slaw to a sandwich, but Chef JJ"s finishing sauce is always in our fridge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky