Oxtail Terrine w/ Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noshrimp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I recently made on oxtail terrine and would like to share the results to the group. The recipe I followed is from the book, "In the Charcuterie", by the owners of The Fatted Calf.

The recipe called for 5 lbs of oxtail, but I ended up using about 7 lbs. 

The oxtails were salted down and left overnight. Then browned off the next day and put in my dutch oven with a pig tail and trotter, onion, carrot, tomato, and water. The saute pan was deglazed with red wine, reduced a bit, then added to the dutch oven. I cooked it for close to 4 hours, then strained stock and separated the beef and pork meat from the bones and fat. The meat was then chopped and set aside. I used Saran wrap to line the terrine, then ladled in some of the gelatinous stock. I then packed the meat into the terrine and added more stock until it was all in the terrine. I thought it turned out great, with nice flavor and it sliced beautifully. Thanks for taking the time to see the pics below!

Reactions: leah elisheva
The title of your post caught my eye.  I never heard of anything like this.  This has to be very tasty indeed!!! I can realy appreciate all the prep work you put into this with such excelent results.  Thanks for the step by step.  Reinhard

Love it
yahoo.gif
,got a whole section "Nose to tail" for cookery like this. Not that it matters where you put it. Great bit of cookery.

Its a classic preparation but not done much anymore.Great summer dish,picnic basket sort of thing.

Ox tail a great cut ,hell of a lot of flavour.

Hey noshrimp,

Your terrine looks great! I love the rich flavor of oxtail. I've made oxtail pate a few times, with a smooth texture from being whirled around in the food processor, but I think I like your terrine's texture better. Your plated picture looks beautiful, great first course dish.

Thanks for sharing!
Clarissa

Mmmm... oxtails, so much gelatin and the flavor!. Or pork neck-bones, ears and tails. Or Trotters & Hocks...... All these things were cheap hearty fair now they are near as bad as steak.

Really nice terrine, looks awesome.

Just my ignorance but what is a normal accompaniment with it?  Micro-greens and olives?

With head cheese its is just crackers and good cheese maybe some fruit.

Reactions: papa chops
Great job on the terrine Noshrimp, I love ox tail but it's been a long time since I've seen it around here.

Love it
yahoo.gif
,got a whole section "Nose to tail" for cookery like this. Not that it matters where you put it. Great bit of cookery.

Its a classic preparation but not done much anymore.Great summer dish,picnic basket sort of thing.

Ox tail a great cut ,hell of a lot of flavour.
Yes, I contemplated posting this in the "nose to tail", Moikel, but opted to post where the other terrines have been posted. Thanks for your nice comments!

Now that is so impressive and it looked delicious and "WOW!" Just, "WOW!" Truly beautiful! The flavors jumped right out of the screen! Cheers! - Leah
I am so happy you enjoyed my pics, Leah. Thanks for spending a minute to view and comment on my project.

Mmmm... oxtails, so much gelatin and the flavor!. Or pork neck-bones, ears and tails. Or Trotters & Hocks...... All these things were cheap hearty fair now they are near as bad as steak.

Really nice terrine, looks awesome.

Just my ignorance but what is a normal accompaniment with it?  Micro-greens and olives?

With head cheese its is just crackers and good cheese maybe some fruit.
Thanks for your nice comments, Foamheart. Yes, I usually just serve with crackers, cheese, and something briny, like pickles, olives, etc. I also like it as a first course, as in the pic with micro greens.

Hey noshrimp,

Your terrine looks great! I love the rich flavor of oxtail. I've made oxtail pate a few times, with a smooth texture from being whirled around in the food processor, but I think I like your terrine's texture better. Your plated picture looks beautiful, great first course dish.

Thanks for sharing!
Clarissa
Thank you, Clarissa! Oxtail pate sounds very interesting. I need to try that one.

I glad you liked my pics. Thanks for your nice comments.

I'm interested too , fill us in on the details...
rolleyes.gif
You got it, oldschoolbbq!

Oxtail Terrine recipe

A few notes: I used about 7 lbs of oxtail, added a pig tail, used hot paprika in place of piment d' Esplette, and forgot the parsley!

5 pounds (2.3 kg) oxtails, cut crosswise into pieces 2 inches (5 cm) thick
Fine sea salt
2 tablespoons lard
2 cups (480 ml) dry red wine
2 cups (480 g) whole canned tomatoes with their juice
1 pig trotter, split
1 yellow onion, quartered
2 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
5 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
1 dried bay leaf
½ teaspoon peppercorns
1 teaspoon piment d’Espelette
½ cup (30 g) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Rinse the oxtails under cool running water and pat dry. Place in a large bowl and season liberally with salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, in a large, heavy sauté pan, melt the lard over medium-high heat. Add the oxtails in a single, uncrowded layer and brown well on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the oxtails to a large braiser. Pour the wine into the sauté pan and deglaze over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen the fond from the bottom of the pan. Pour the wine over the oxtails, then add the tomatoes, pig’s foot, onion, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Add water just to cover the oxtails and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a lazy simmer and skim off any particulates that rise to the surface. Continue to simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours.
When both the oxtails and the foot are fork-tender, using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a platter. Line a colander with cheesecloth (or use a chinois or other fine-mesh sieve) and strain the broth through the colander into a stockpot. Place the pot over medium heat and cook until reduced by about one-fourth. Ladle the broth to a depth of ½ inch into a ramekin and refrigerate for about 20 minutes. If it is firm and gelatinous when chilled, it is ready. If it is still a touch runny, reduce further and test again. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Pull all of the meat off of the oxtails and the foot, discarding the skin and bones. Toss the meat with the piment d’Espelette and parsley.
Line a mold (terrine or loaf pan) with plastic wrap. Ladle a small amount of the cooking liquid into the terrine or other vessel, enough to coat the bottom to a depth of about ½ inch (12 mm). You will need about ½ cup. Follow with a layer of roughly half of the meat. Press the meat down gently. Cover with a little more liquid (again about ½ cup), followed by the remainder of the meat. Press gently again, and then top with a little more liquid to cover (about 1 cup). You will rarely need all of the cooking liquid to set your potted meat, and the remainder can be saved for making soups or sauces. Cover the vessel and refrigerate overnight to set the potted meat before serving.
To turn out a terrine, remove it from the refrigerator and invert it onto a cutting board, then carefully lift off the vessel. Carefully peel away the plastic wrap, then slice the potted meat.

Excerpt From: Taylor Boetticher & Toponia Miller. “In The Charcuterie.” v1.0. Ten Speed Press, 2013. iBooks. 

Reactions: snorkelinggirl

You got me interested! Looks Great, definitely something Im gonna have to try! Thanks for the enlightenment! I bet it would be good on some crackers
Yes, crackers work well, Papa Chops! That's generally how I serve it. I appreciate your comments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky