Oxtail Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FowlAntics

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2020
Its normally difficult for me to make oxtail for family dinners because it weirds some family members out. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Well with an extremely small family gathering this year I had my opportunity.

I used 6lbs of oxtail and rubbed with my homemade big bad beef rub (Meathead recipe) then smoked with cherry wood for about 3 hours at around 225.

20201225_135929.jpg

When that was getting close I started my mirepoix and then added some red wine, worcestershire, garlic, beef broth and tomato paste. I simmered it for a bit to meld the flavors then tossed in the oxtail and braised at 275 for another 3.5 hours.

Served on some fontina cheese polenta with chives for garnish. The house smelled flavourful all day and the very few family members lucky enough to enjoy this meal left with full tummies and big smiles.

20201225_175255.jpg

Reactions: mike243
Very nice! I love Oxtails more than Chuck or Brisket, for Braising. I have a great Jamaican Oxtail Recipe. Unfortunately they are hard to come by, in my area, and my Wife finds them too rich and gelatinous for her taste...JJ

Very nice! I love Oxtails more than Chuck or Brisket, for Braising. I have a great Jamaican Oxtail Recipe. Unfortunately they are hard to come by, in my area, and my Wife finds them too rich and gelatinous for her taste...JJ

A Jamaican oxtail dish sounds awesome. Agreed on the richness of oxtail. They are extremely fatty and bold flavored.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky