Over Smoked?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When running my MES on higher temps like 250 260 275 I feel like it burns the chips too much and produces too much heavy smoke because the element was constantly running. This can be corrected with a-maze-pellet tray.

When running my MES on higher temps like 250 260 275 I feel like it burns the chips too much and produces too much heavy smoke because the element was constantly running. This can be corrected with a-maze-pellet tray.
I've read some things about the amaz pellet. Does that mean I have to use the pellets or can I still use wood? I have only completed 2 cooks (only 1 some-what successful) and am really new to this.

You've got some good advice here.
The amount of smoke flavor you and your fsmily like will probably differ from what others like--its a very personal thing. I like lots of smoke flavor so I generally smoke from stsrt to finish. Hickory is my go to wood. But its a strong wood. Pecan is a much milder wood and is my second choice. Fruit woods are generally quite mild and I use a lot of them--except for apple, which zi don't particularly like.
You'll just have to experiment with different mests until you find whats right for each meat. Keep a log and record the kind, size, and weght of meat, the type of wood used, and the length of time you kept the smoke rolling. Thst way, when you're happy with the Q, you'll be able to do it the same next time.
Gary

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
some guys here will say that there is no such thing as " over smoked "
i beg to differ
95 % of the time i only have a heavy smoke for the 1st and last hour
i get good smoke flavor , get a great color to everything from chicken to ribs
i NEVER put BBQ sauce on anything while its smoking or cooking

Why don't you add bbq sauce to anything while it's smoking?

(1) there is no need to
(2) who wants burned BBQ sauce ?
(3) many people prefer no sauce
(4) easier to tell when the meat is done

Hi there and welcome guys!

Aside from a failed attempt at jerk, smoking a full chicken was my first real attempt at smoking. I cooked a whole chicken @250 degrees for about 4:45 minutes on a masterbuilt electric smoker. I took it out to sit at just about 160 degrees.

When I ate a piece, the chicken itself was very good and juicy, but was a little over whelmed with the smokey taste (applewood).

So, my question is, how long do you add wood chips into your smoker for? The duration of the cook? Less?

I pretty much had smoke the entire cook. I would think applying smoke less would lessen that strong smoke taste, but I figured I'd ask here to see if there is any rule of thumb or is it just trial and error?

Thanks in advance

My guess is that you had the wrong kind of smoke going. You want Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) and not thick white smoke.
This is my hunch because I use an MES and I run the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray. I also run it burning 2 rows at a time on chicken smoke and I don't get too much smoke. I do about 65% Hickory and 35% Maple/Cherry.
With the AMNPS I get perfect TBS and never too much smoke. Soooooo, this is why I think the quality of your smoke is likely the issue.
Then after that yeah, maybe too much smoke but if you get the right kind of smoke it takes more effort to get too much smoke :)

I've read some things about the amaz pellet. Does that mean I have to use the pellets or can I still use wood? I have only completed 2 cooks (only 1 some-what successful) and am really new to this.
Yep it means you have to use pellets or pellet dust, no wood splits, chunks, or chips.
The AMNPS does 2 things for you though. It produces Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) with no effort where the MES burning chips can give you good or bad smoke with little control on your end.
Secondly the AMNPS burns from as little as 1hr to 9-12+ hrs without needing to be tended to!

So you can see with like 99% of us electric smoker guys use it :)

Why don't you add bbq sauce to anything while it's smoking?
I can't answer for him directly but the best practice is to not add BBQ sauce until the very end or until after done cooking. This is because the sugar will burn up on you and get bitter/nasty if it is applied too early to the meat :)

if its smoked right without over smoking, about 8 out of 10 people will ask for no sauce on it at all
its just my experience that most people love a piece of meat that they can taste BOTH the smoke and meat
all my meat meaning ribs, Boston butts, brisket or even chicken always come out with a reddish brown mahogany color
never black , and when i serve it i always ask if they want sauce ,
most will say something along the line of " hell no its to good to ruin with sauce "
some DO want sauce but most don't .....if it ain't broke ...don't try to fix it ...lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky