1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Over Smoked?

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by new2this1898, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:49 PM.

1. zachd

zachd Smoke Blower

Mn
    When running my MES on higher temps like 250 260 275 I feel like it burns the chips too much and produces too much heavy smoke because the element was constantly running. This can be corrected with a-maze-pellet tray.

2. new2this1898

new2this1898 Newbie

I've read some things about the amaz pellet. Does that mean I have to use the pellets or can I still use wood? I have only completed 2 cooks (only 1 some-what successful) and am really new to this.

3. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

You've got some good advice here.
    The amount of smoke flavor you and your fsmily like will probably differ from what others like--its a very personal thing. I like lots of smoke flavor so I generally smoke from stsrt to finish. Hickory is my go to wood. But its a strong wood. Pecan is a much milder wood and is my second choice. Fruit woods are generally quite mild and I use a lot of them--except for apple, which zi don't particularly like.
    You'll just have to experiment with different mests until you find whats right for each meat. Keep a log and record the kind, size, and weght of meat, the type of wood used, and the length of time you kept the smoke rolling. Thst way, when you're happy with the Q, you'll be able to do it the same next time.
    Gary