Outlaw style offset build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golfpro2301

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Started my new offset build few weeks ago and thought I would share progress. Plan to do burnout tomorrow and put finishing touches on CC and cart before proceeding with cutting door and starting FB
Lucked out on tank and almost 1/4” thick
7E90FF88-A973-4E0B-9657-5AAA0AFFDC95.jpeg
E6F33C4E-6DB8-45F8-8AAA-F53D70FC5F73.jpeg
0E381CC9-F9B9-427E-B289-67CEBBA8D047.jpeg
02DD2AC8-CADA-4067-869D-D22FBD05C217.jpeg
15AFBE7A-0046-4CAB-B72F-D05F92865A9D.jpeg
FA6C993A-85D8-450E-BEEF-68A960618A5E.jpeg
B8A07B20-DE6A-48C9-BA91-A6C9CC0142CB.jpeg
42F4BAA8-5D5F-4784-BCD0-FE6B5EB0A4DA.jpeg

Your on a roll (pun intended) ... Looking good so far .. .

You've stood up beside it and imagined opening the door... pulling grates out... working on the top grate... And nothing seems to high ?? Maybe it's the picture but it just seems high for some reason ...

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow! That looks like it’s going to be a killer build! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. I’m very envious of you craftsman who can work metal so well!

Its definitely tall but I have never cooked on an upscale offset so I wouldnt have anything to compare to. My OKJ offset has very low shelf around mid thigh and me being almost 6’2” I dont like bending over. I wanted this one taller and since FB will be front loader had to make sure cleared rear wheels. Top of CC is 52 with center line at 40”. This puts shelf at 37-38”. Comparing to outlaw the 2660 top of hinges is 53” and the outlaw patio has a shelf around 35.5” so I would say its in ballpark

OK.. That's all sounding ok.. The biggest thing is reaching the handle on the backside of the CC door when it's in the fully opened position to close it...

Plan on handle hanging 1” below edge of door. Havent figured out design but I am getting into knife making and building a hydraulic press next. I will be forging some damascus billets and cutting all hinges and handles out of it to give a unique design characteristic. Also I will be including a ceramic glass window in the middle of firebox door. It will be removable for periodic replacement when it darkens

Great start.
I dislike bending over for my kettle or pellet pooper and I'm only average height.
Are you planning a reverse flow or conventional?
Got a photo of the golf cart up on blocks after re purposing the wheels?

I found a beat up golf cart on marketplace and owner was willing cut off front end for me. I then salvaged the spindle, bracket and kingpin. I welded on own tie rod tabs. Rear spindle were purchased off amazon and I made a mistake on those. Didnt pay attention to how far spindle stuck past the wheel bolts. Front wheels everything sits flush with end of spindle rear wheels spindle sticks out about 3”. When I go to put nice wheels on it this will screw me

Looks really good so far! Looking forward to seeing your progress! Especially having Damascus handles and hinges.

Ryan

Shop aint much. Just half a garage with a lot of wood working tools. I added welder,plasma cutter, and some metal saws. Buulding a milling table for drill press then a forge and eventually 20-25ton hydraulic press to forge steel

was able to start burnout today. Smelled awful and im sure neighbors are pissed.
8BEC1971-9AAC-4A7A-B47A-3F1E9D493FAA.jpeg

Shop aint much. Just half a garage with a lot of wood working tools. I added welder,plasma cutter, and some metal saws. Buulding a milling table for drill press then a forge and eventually 20-25ton hydraulic press to forge steel

was able to start burnout today. Smelled awful and im sure neighbors are pissed.
As soon as you get the smoker going give them a taste of the smoky goodness and they will forgive you.

worth the like!

Nice start waiting to see the finish. Oh and I'm waiting for an invite when you do the maiden voyage with some good que.

Warren

Man if the rest of it is as solid as the cart its gonna be a beauty. I'm 6-4 with a twingy back. I like things at waist height also. Thinking my winter project is gonna be something to raise the kettle up a little.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky