Outdoor fryer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I picked up a fryer thanks for the input! Fried up some fresh cut fries to test it out. I love how quick it heats up and holds temp.

FBA69C74-94BB-4E12-82C2-CB11835909CB.jpeg

6DB16C4C-C820-4E17-B484-88EE5124139B.jpeg

What brand and size, please.
It’s a backyard pro 4 gallon fryer. It was cheaper than a Cajun fryer and having 4 kids and this economy I couldn’t spring for almost another $200. Here is the link they have quick shipping ordered on a Monday showed up on Friday.

Just yesterday I was thinking about this thread, I broke mine out to do some wings. Glad you got one, looks like a fine purchase!

Dave
That’s next on my list to fry up is some wings. I wanna smoke them first then fry them. I have never done that before but seen a guy on YouTube smoke and fry wings which sounds amazing

Reactions: Flatrate
Looks good congrats they are handy. With four kids that will come in handy for years to come. You are right about the heat recovery that is if it drops, Your going to like the smo-fried wings they are very good of course so is a smo-fried turkey. Another one you need to try is onion rings they are very good out of it as well.

Reactions: NefariousTrashMan
Well I picked up a fryer thanks for the input! Fried up some fresh cut fries to test it out. I love how quick it heats up and holds temp.

View attachment 662557
View attachment 662558

Question, I watched some YT videos on these, and I know they're loud. And maybe it's the mics, but in the videos they sound LOUD. How loud would you say? And once they reach temp do you shut off the propane? I don't think I could handle that jet engine blasting the entire time I was using it.

They do make some noise mine isn't all that bad. You don't turn the fryer off while cooking but you may be able to turn the burner down some and still maintain the same temperature.

Question, I watched some YT videos on these, and I know they're loud. And maybe it's the mics, but in the videos they sound LOUD. How loud would you say? And once they reach temp do you shut off the propane? I don't think I could handle that jet engine blasting the entire time I was using it.
Honestly the sound is not that loud at all. I turn down the flame when the oil reaches temp and adjust the flame as needed. I thought they would be much louder after watching videos as well but that’s not the case. Is it whisper quiet? No but it’s not overly loud. Also it gets up to temp pretty fast so you really don’t have to listen to the sound that long anyways.

View attachment 662557
View attachment 662558
My son-in-law bugs me from time-to-time to buy a fryer like yours. I have a small electric fryer I use indoors that will fry up a small batch of wings or fries with less than a gallon of oil. I also have a propane "turkey" fryer that I use outside for turkey and occasionally a large batch of fresh fish. With a fryer like yours, I could cook more and bigger stuff... It's tempting.

My biggest concerns with frying is oil filtering for re-use and clean up. How easy are those tasks with your fryer? I've managed to streamline these tasks with the two fryers I have, but they're still a bit of a PITA.

A lot depends on what brand fryer you buy. On some the burner is not on the bottom it's up a little that allows the coatings and small pieces that come off to fall to the bottom not sit on the burner. Some also have a valve on the side to drain the oil. Put a filter in a funnel and drain into the container it came out of this way you can usually use the same oil for quite a while. Once the oil is all drained it's pretty easy to get the inside of the fryer cleaned up. Mine has the burner elevated a little and has the ball valve on the side for draining the oil. I have the cajun fryer

To mirror what Pineywoods said, with the Cajun fryers its very easy to drain/filter/dump back into the unit. I keep mine pretty clean and can do it in maybe 20 minutes.

Yes they are a little loud on the warm up stage but you start backing the gas off as the temp rises. When it comes time to cooking the fuel whistle is very low. On a windy day I have to watch so it doesn't get blown out. But you do hear the oil popping.

Dave

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
My son-in-law bugs me from time-to-time to buy a fryer like yours. I have a small electric fryer I use indoors that will fry up a small batch of wings or fries with less than a gallon of oil. I also have a propane "turkey" fryer that I use outside for turkey and occasionally a large batch of fresh fish. With a fryer like yours, I could cook more and bigger stuff... It's tempting.

My biggest concerns with frying is oil filtering for re-use and clean up. How easy are those tasks with your fryer? I've managed to streamline these tasks with the two fryers I have, but they're still a bit of a PITA.
It’s pretty easy to clean up the burn tube runs through the middle of the oil so the particles don’t burn. Which kills frying oil, with a 5 gallon bucket and a funnel with a screen I open the ball valve and filter the junk outta the oil then I take paper towels and tongs to clean the bottom out. Even heating up some soapy water in the fryer works well for getting it all cleaned out. Definitely worth it and the oil last way longer before needing completely changed.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky