Our Second piece of Heaven, Little piece on the Atlantic Ocean

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congratulations! 🎊🎈

Nice place!

Plenty of room for a smoker!!

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment

Yes great area and I will have at least 1 smoker there for sure.

Wow David, what a beautiful spot, so happy for you and Mona!

Dave

Thanks Dave for the like and the comment

We are happy also. Hard to get Mona to calm down she is so happy.

Congrats David. That has to be one good feeling. It looks awesome

Thanks Brian for the comment, it sure is . And the long search is over. Now just have to make it ours.

David

Reactions: Flatrate
Congrats David, that would be worth working a few more years.

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

Yes it will be , at least that is Mona keeps telling me :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

We are going to enjoy it .

Looks great David !! You guys will enjoy that for sure .
Thanks Rich for the comment

Yes it is our dream to find this kind of place to have and enjoy on the weekends and most of the summer

Congratulations, it looks beautiful!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

We are very happy and it will really be a spot of heaven for us.

David

Awesome... Just Awesome...

Let me ask... We vacationed in Yarmouth for a couple of weeks YEARS ago (rained the whole two weeks)... The tides there are crazy... Something like 16' (is that correct) ?? Now will you experience the same drastic tides there ?? And the current when tides are flowing... Crazy as well...

Friends that live there took me down to the docks.. Stopped and got some cut bait... Hand lined for lobster right off the dock... Caught the first one and was excited to take it home and eat it... BUT NOOOO... He says they aren't in season right now... WTF... Why bring me down here to catch them then... LOL.. But it was fun ...

Then I hired a fishing guide to take me small mouth bass fishing... Those little suckers are aggressive... Little ones (smaller than the lure) were hitting it... I'd reel in and the little guy was on the hook... LOL...

Sweet!

I am hoping that i can save the structure and go from there , but if need be ,i will tare it down and build a small 26 x 36 camp/cottage back further on the land. ( the little cottage you can see of to the left from the water is next door , they just use it for their kids when they come to visit. Those folks live there all year long and the road / driveway stops at their house so not much traffic.
Double sweet having a year around neighbor. Cuts back on the potential for ... uh ... issues.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Beautiful David and congrats on seeing it through the 3½ months of dealing with a tough to deal with seller...

Thanks Charles for the Love and the comment

It was an ordeal Charles, but now just the Lawyers and government to work with now. And that is fine.
But it will be worth it in the end.

Even you dont get "Lucky" I'd say your still pretty dang lucky. Thats a great looking spot. Are you planning to build there? I could see a nice patio over looking the water with a kids table and a assigned spot with my name on it!

Jim

Thanks Jim for the love and the comment

Ha ha , we will see about that. Yes we are very happy and lucky to find this place. Paid a little more then what I wanted to for this place. But there are no others at all around in my price range.
So over the long haul, it is worth it.

Funny you would say that, we were just going to build a very small building 12' x 12' for a power building . To have power it has to be on concrete. Then we were just going to set up our RV on the land because we have a nice set up for it now.
BUT the city will not let you park and use an RV on land unless there is already a building with Kitchen, full bathroom and a bedroom of sorts.

So it is up in the air what I am doing , I drew up plans for a 2 bedroom with full bath and a big common area kitchen , livingroom and dining with all windows looking at the ocean. Bedrooms at the back.

So we will see how bad the building that is there is structurally, But it has to be gutted, everything is rotten. Time will tell.

Bit don't worry, your and my spots will still be at the kids table looking out over the ocean. lol🤠🤠:emoji_sunglasses:

Ha Ha thaks Jake for the vid and yes we really do feel lucky. been a long time coming to find a spot like this . And then make it our own.

David

Reactions: TNJAKE and JLeonard
What a gorgeous spot David, congrats! Get on the water as much as you can, an old carpenters sea legs don't last forever. RAY

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

Yes we will and do. Mona grew up on the ocean, and she actually bought me my first real boat. We love the ocean more the fresh water for what you see and can do. Mona loves to hand line , and rod work for Mackerel.
And just boating around to the beaches on the islands and watching the whales and other sea creatures.

What a beautiful spot David and a great find! Definitely looks like it was worth the seller hassles. That's a great hideaway!

Keith

Thanks Keith for the like and the comment

Yes in the long run once the dust settled , we are thrilled.
It is and really will be our go to spot on the weekends and summertime. And every other time i can sneak away. Mona and her sister will enjoy it more then me for the first while. I will just be the handyman looking sexy while brushing off the sawdust HA HA HA . I wish.

A beautiful view David! What a great place to relax and unwind...Congratulations to you and Mona!

Red

Thanks Joel for the comment

It sure will be, I love being on the ocean and just float with the tide and fish or not fish. It is just an other world out there.
We are going to have tons of fun.

David

As said many times in this thread......Beautiful! Congratulations David, I know how much owning a little slice of peace can be. Enjoy it!

Thanks Keith for the like and the comment

You are right there. We thought we were lucky to have the place we are on now on the lake.
But after many years looking and trying we finally hit gold again with our ocean spot. It is what we really want for retirement. When we decide to sell the house ( lake ) that is my retirement. Then we can get an apartment so we can travel in the winter and enjoy the ocean every chance we get the rest of the time.

Wow, David that's a beautiful spot to hang your summertime hat, and it even comes with a dog house for when you get on Mona's bad side. Nice find and enjoy young man.

You're gonna have to keep those QE2s a flowing for a while I bet, but it'll be worth it.

I bet if you sweet talked all the carpenters, plumbers, and electricians on SMF. They'd be more than happy to update their passports and trek on up to NS to give you a hand at rebuilding.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the comment

That is exactly what it is for , the summertime fun. And catching our own stock of fish... ( Not Lobster and mussels and scallops ) because that is not allowed to take lobster lol

The little building that is in one of the pictures is of the next door folks little shack she must put her kids or visitors in in the summer.

" You're gonna have to keep those QE2s "
Do you mean the Hospital lottery, now how would you hear about that ??

Ha Ha , I could hold a big long weekend smoke session slash cottage building party. lol And invite all the SMF folks.

Congrats David. Oh man, that is VERY close to my own dream. I know the laws are different but I run a title company and do this stuff for a living. Without any hesitation confirm you have legal access. All the waterfront property here is fraught with weak access and ends in litigation. Also try to get seller to have it surveyed for accuracy. Do NOT assume the lawyer will take care of this.

Thanks Sam for the like and the comment

Funny you would say that, that is kind of why this took so long. He was advertising ( this is through MLS Real-estate ) things that went with the property that really was not part of his to sell. Long stupid story.
But we are very lucky as the survey and pins are in place and I have copies all stamped by HRM ( the city ) and I have walked the property 3 times now and found most of the pins
There is 1 easement and that is for the power corp. to be able to come on my land and work on the power pole. I am good with that.

But thanks for the heads up. People are weird when it comes to what land is yours and mine,
When you get away from the main want to be areas, it is still pretty calm about the selling of land. The cove that this piece is on is named after the big house way up behind our piece. So at one time it was all that familys land and the Lady still lives up there. I will go and meet her once we start going down there just to be nice and say hi.

I did not buy from her but from a person that bought it 20 - 30 years ago.

Can't wait to get there and start working on it.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003 and zwiller
That water sure looks nice, I’d like to jump in with my dive gear, guessing there’s lots of lobsters around 🤔. I had to look it up on google maps, looks awesome, enjoy!

Thanks WR for the love and the comment

Ha ha yes i jump in there in a heart beat .... In a month or 2 . It is cold.
Yes there are lots of Lobster, not the southern Spiny lobster , but the big ones . And Now that we will be there more often I will get My scallop license again It used to be about $14 a year. So I would always go and get Mona a feed of them , every other week or so.

Lots of sheltered coves to watch the lobster walking around the bottom, And we never catch them and take up on an island and throw them in the fire wrapped in foil, never I say never. lol :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:

Very nice acquisition, Congrats!

A bottle of wine or two, might help with getting Lucky.

Thanks John for the Love and the comment

It really is going to be a big part of our future.

And as for the wine ,It might work.
Mona is very good with 1 bottle of wine in her , but once past the first and starting on the second bottle . That is a no no , all she wants to do is fight and I don't mean argue . Get your fists up or run. She is like the Tasmania Devil on the second bottle

Now Rum she can go all night long parting and almost normal, BUT I love her anyway , :emoji_sunglasses: lol

What a beautiful view, some people only able to see once in a lifetime. Waking to that every morning would be heaven.
Congratulations. . . !

Thanks Wade for the comment

You are right about that, that is why we fell very blessed that we found this spot.
And knowing the water and the islands and the hidden coves , it is just wonderful

It can get nasty on the coast when the storms blow in , but when it is nice it is really nice.

Like one of the pictures above with the bigger boat in it , that day and there are lots like it . But flat calm, you can see the whales and dolphins quite far ,away and try and get up closer to watch.

P9186767.JPG

David

Awesome... Just Awesome...

Let me ask... We vacationed in Yarmouth for a couple of weeks YEARS ago (rained the whole two weeks)... The tides there are crazy... Something like 16' (is that correct) ?? Now will you experience the same drastic tides there ?? And the current when tides are flowing... Crazy as well...

Friends that live there took me down to the docks.. Stopped and got some cut bait... Hand lined for lobster right off the dock... Caught the first one and was excited to take it home and eat it... BUT NOOOO... He says they aren't in season right now... WTF... Why bring me down here to catch them then... LOL.. But it was fun ...

Then I hired a fishing guide to take me small mouth bass fishing... Those little suckers are aggressive... Little ones (smaller than the lure) were hitting it... I'd reel in and the little guy was on the hook... LOL...
Thanks Keith for the comment
Yarmouth is a very pretty place when the sun shines. Lots of people go there as it is at the mouth of the Bay of Fundy. Which is know for the highest tides in the world. And they are thinking about putting under water turbines up there somewhere to produce power. Like wind turbines but under water.

Our side and most of Nova Scotia has your regular 6 foot high tides and most time the current all depends on the weather and the structures around, islands big rocks etc.
Your friend is a big tease, and it is illegal for you , me or anybody to catch and keep any lobster. Unless you are a lobster fisherman. Very big fines.

I am surprised no one said anything to you on the dock, We love going after them.... Oh yes we let them gooooooooo. Especially when no one is around.

Very cool , fresh water small mouth. I do that most mornings if weather is nice down off the dock here at home before I go to work . The trout are biting right now while the water is cool , once it warms up in a month or so the small mouth start up.
And you they put up a good fight.

Very nice! Congrats and all that stuff. Your hard work has paid off.

Thanks Chris for the comment

Yes it sure did , and we are not taking it for granted. We will enjoy this to the fullest.

Dang the more pics you post the more I want to look at Canadian citizenship!

Jim

Ha ha Jim , I will make you an honorary Canadian AH, i will send up more photos of the nice times ,
not all the stupid weather from the last year or so lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Sweet!

Double sweet having a year around neighbor. Cuts back on the potential for ... uh ... issues.

Thanks John for the like and the comment

Yes we are loving this new spot and where it is at. Mid May we will be able to do what we want . Can't wait

Wow David!! Nice! Happy for you
Thanks Jeff for the love and the comment

We are also very happy and excited to get it done up the way we want and then enjoy it.

David

Reactions: jcam222
I am usually smack dab in the middle of "the long stupid story". Sounds like you are on the right path. DM if you have any questions.

Thanks Sam for the offer, I bet you know some horror stories.
I hope I don't have to ask for your help, but very happy to know that I could pick your brain if need be.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
I'm thinking one of them tiny house's .. With a clean out for the RV hook up ...

I hear you Keith, we have been running around lots of different plans on paper.
And a dumping station was in the plans for the RV if that is the way we are going.

There is a septic tank and field, I am going there tomorrow to see if it is still workable, has not been used for over 10 years plus.
Like I mentioned above , I drew up plans for a couple different kinds of buildings

1 that is split down the middle so the front looks like a nice cottage and the back half is the shed garage , for our boats and yard and fishing gear etc.

It all depends on if any of the building is good enough to save or just knock it down and haul it away.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky