Orange wood.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will Squared

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
Where I live I am surrounded by Mandarine Orange orchards. They just got through their season and will start pruning the orchards in about a month or so. Has anyone used Orange wood for chips or chunks??
I also have some Osage Orange ( Bodark ) Has anyone used this for chips or chunks?

Last edited:
Reactions: 73saint
Osage orange appears to be the same as hedge wood. Mixed bag of answers online but I did find this thread on a smoking site. Several swearing it’s the best wood ever for pork. I do know it burns super hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Will Squared
Osage Orange , aka Hedge Apple, is the highest BTU rated hardwood in N America.
Very interesting wood. It is also called Bois d'arc, Bow Wood, as it is the best wood for bows. Around the 1820's (before barbed wire) it was extensively planted along roads as hedges and to be harvested for fence rails.
Thank you for the link.

Reactions: DocShadownix
That was a great thread. All of that info is correct. Fence posts do not decay. The wood can be steamed and bent into a circle! I met a guy that makes custom fish nets with them. I make bows from the wood I have found around here. On a bow the wood molecules on the front of the bow are expanding while contracting on the back without cell failure. That is pretty amazing.

Many in that thread are swearing by Osage Orange for smoking.

Just joined BBQ Brethren (at the link).

I think I like the layout of SMF better.
...a little easier to navigate...

I have heard that too. Strip off the bark for better taste.
The orchards around us are organic.

I have used Orange wood chunks in my WSM or Kettle. It is a mild smoke
Richie

Last edited:
Thank you for the input. I am just getting started with smoking and a whole world is opening up.
I will try different woods for chips and for chunks. I want to try to flash smoke with some herbs from the garden.

Citrus is an excellent choice for lighter proteins such as fish, turkey and chicken. I have also used it on pork with good results.
Osage orange (aka “hedge”) is a great wood for general smoking. Find someone with hedge growing on their place and there is a good chance you will be allowed to cut all you can haul. Hedge cures slowly, burns HOT and also has a nasty trait of throwing sparks, but it does make nice smoke.

I’ve always heard any fruit tree is good (mild) smoking wood. I’ve used Apple, cherry and persimmon. Assume orange “wood” work as well.
How did the persimmon wood do?!!? We have some trees on our mountain property and I know how sweet the fruit is after a frost and I've wonder about using it for smoking ever since I got a offset smoker and like to use split wood as my heat source in it.

How did the persimmon wood do?!!? We have some trees on our mountain property and I know how sweet the fruit is after a frost and I've wonder about using it for smoking ever since I got a offset smoker and like to use split wood as my heat source in it.
I like it. I still have a little but not much. I usually use it on chicken or fish.

There are many Florida Steak houses and BBQ joints using Orange (we are citrus experts in Florida of course) and mostly combined with oak for beef and pork. Charley's Steak House in Tamp and Orlando exclusively grill all of their food on an open wood pit with orange and oak. I follow their example as I love their food. Orange chips used to be available from Western (Brand) but they apparently stopped making them. I have found very few outlets that sell the chips or chunks. Never have found the pellets.. that is why I don't use a pellet smoking tool. I need my Orange!

There are many Florida Steak houses and BBQ joints using Orange (we are citrus experts in Florida of course) and mostly combined with oak for beef and pork. Charley's Steak House in Tamp and Orlando exclusively grill all of their food on an open wood pit with orange and oak. I follow their example as I love their food. Orange chips used to be available from Western (Brand) but they apparently stopped making them. I have found very few outlets that sell the chips or chunks. Never have found the pellets.. that is why I don't use a pellet smoking tool. I need my Orange!
I live in Orange Country in NorCal. Wife & I just went out to one of the many Mandarin Ranches here and bought 20 lbs. Most of these will be sliced and dried. Some will be candied. They told me that they only have wood when they take out trees. We get our Apple wood from orchards up in Paradise. There are also many Olive orchards around us too. That is good wood to smoke with, also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky