Onion Tomato and Pickle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
I had some pellets left smoking after my last eye of round and didn't want to waste them. So I threw a tomato, an onion and a pickle (LOL) on for 30 minutes at 225. I really don't know why, guess I was bored and probably a tad drunk. The pickle was the wife's idea. After taking them out of the smoker we and the kids all tried a little slice of the pickle. And it was fantastic!!! Even the picky kids loved it! What??!!

I chopped the onion and tomato to try on something in the near future. Put in vac bags and into the fridge.

Any tips on what to use them on? If I like them I'll plan a big batch soon. Just not sure what I want to try them on for the first time.
20200525_172134.jpg
20200525_191532.jpg

hpCREim.jpg

Wow, the pickles sound like something I need to try. I make pickled asparagus, maybe I'll try that as well. I like adding onions to the smoker too. I think they add some moisture during the cook, and I'll slip the skins and serve them with pulled pork. The reason things like pizza, enchiladas, and lasagna are so good cooked over live fire is the cheese and tomato pickup a wonderful flavor. Tins of tomatoes with olive oil, herbs and Parmesan at the end are a great side.
zK4AZtD.jpg

Reactions: pi guy
View attachment 447648

Wow, the pickles sound like something I need to try. I make pickled asparagus, maybe I'll try that as well. I like adding onions to the smoker too. I think they add some moisture during the cook, and I'll slip the skins and serve them with pulled pork. The reason things like pizza, enchiladas, and lasagna are so good cooked over live fire is the cheese and tomato pickup a wonderful flavor. Tins of tomatoes with olive oil, herbs and Parmesan at the end are a great side.
View attachment 447649
The side of tomatoes with herbs, parm and oil??!! That sounds awesome!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky