One week in with the pellet smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WiscoTim

Original poster
Feb 19, 2021
OK, so I'm about a week in with my GMG Daniel Boone Prime+, so far I like it a lot. Definitely a different flavor than my old Char Griller stick burner, not a bad thing, just different. Less smokey(wife likes that, she's not a big fan of "smoke" flavor), way easier than the stick burner. Just blew my mind how simple it was, used to constantly adjusting the draft and tending a fire when I'm smoking, with this grill I can just look at the phone and check the meat probe and grill temp. I made a pork loin the day after I bought the grill, honestly it was some of the best pork I've ever cooked.

Now if I was going to do a side by side with food cooked on a stick burner, or even a charcoal grill, I think my preference would come down to what was cooked. I wasn't really expecting a strong "smoke" flavor, thinking it would be more of a wood fired oven. In that regard, it really shines. Mac & Cheese or pizza cooked on it have been outstanding.

I imagine it's about like anything else, I'll keep it clean, keep the heat deflectors adjusted for even heat and feed it good fuel. The results so far have been really nice(even with burgers, although I prefer those off charcoal...had to give it a try), but I'm not getting rid of my Weber Kettle anytime soon. Probably the biggest plus to the pellet grill is that I'm going to build a little "smoke shack" in the back yard for it to live in...one with room for a little expansion...
156142176_10218790455300084_192836484084238510_n.jpg
158195487_10218829662440238_7314782808612238994_n.jpg
158347103_10218829662320235_3293664097324505213_n.jpg

Looks pretty good there! My wife also likes the pellet grill food better because the smoke profile is less intense.

Food all looks great! Glad you're liking your new smoker!

Ryan

Looks great, while I would prefer a more bold smoke flavor the wife cant do that any more, the Austin is a good compromise imo, it's great to have more than 1 way to cook and my Weber will be the last grill to leave my home

Just popping in for an update. Use the DB pretty regularly and so far, other than some power adapter issues, it has run like a champ. Yesterday I cut a 25 1/2" #4 rebar and four 14 1/2" 1x2s for legs and did a quick conversion to a hanging smoker. Did 25 pounds of venison bologna last night. It held temp great and was surprisingly decent on pellets for January in Wisconsin.
Only downside was I had to do it in 2 batches as I ran out of hanging space pretty quickly.
IMG_0592.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky