One That Got Away

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I decided it was time to start digging into the standing rib roast stash I scored at Xmas time. I thawed a cute little 4 pound boneless prime in the fridge for a few days and when it was ready today brushed on a some Wooster sauce and a light coating MSS
DSCN1672.JPG

Made a indirect one-side fire on the Weber with a chimney full of coals and a couple chunks of applewood. Threw on a big baker for an hour while I was getting the temp to die down to around 375º, then applied the apple chunks and threw on the meat. Got some nice smoke for an hour.
DSCN1673.JPG

Pulled it at 123º , that where I went wrong. It was climbing fast just sitting on the counter uncovered
DSCN1674.JPG

It got up to 130º before I knew what was happening, I sliced off both ends and plated them up with the tater all buttered up and loaded with sour cream, spargees too.
DSCN1675.JPG

DSCN1676.JPG

The roast had a nice smoke flavor, was juicy and tender, and the tater was a rare treat for me. It was way overdone for my liking, I'll pull the next one at 116º and see what happens, better that than soup meat. Overall it was good practice for temp control on the Weber, the SnS arrives tomorrow, practice make prefect. I'll do better on the next one, that's for darned sure. Thanks for looking! RAY

Looks good Ray! I guess they say practice makes perfect...I sure do feel sorry for you having to eat all that tasty looking meat!

Ryan

Reactions: sawhorseray
My local market is selling standing rib roast for $4.77lb. They had some really nice looking pieces yesterday. No room in the freezer then. Now that I have taken out that pork butt there may be room enough to slip one in. That was a beautiful chunk of beef Ray. Enjoy that.
G

Just my 2 cents here. If you are looking for a medium rare finished product I have found that 325 cook temps and pulled at 122 - 125 will end up with a 7 - 10 degree rise in IT after pulling off the fire. The 375 temps you used transfer too much external heat to pull at 123. Low and slow, Low and slow..

Looks good Ray! I guess they say practice makes perfect...I sure do feel sorry for you having to eat all that tasty looking meat! Ryan

It's a tough job, but it needs to get done. Thank you for the Like Ryan, I appreciate it. RAY

Last edited:
Looks good, Ray! Awesome looking crust. I would have some...Would you mind? :emoji_wink:

Not a bit Push, if we still lived in Elk Grove you could have just driven down 99 for dinner. RAY

Last edited:
Ray...fret not sir. I'd eat that "mistake" all day long!! It happens once in a while that one gets away from us but you know it's good when a mistake is still tender, juicy, and flavorful. No sin in that at all my friend, just a tad bit more experience. A day when you don't learn something is a wasted day IMHO. Your day is complete!!

Robert

My local market is selling standing rib roast for $4.77lb. They had some really nice looking pieces yesterday. No room in the freezer then. Now that I have taken out that pork butt there may be room enough to slip one in. That was a beautiful chunk of beef Ray. Enjoy that. G

I scored three whole standing rib roasts, aka prime rib, at Xmas for that price. I back the ribs bones off some and cut boneless ribeye steaks 1&1/2" thick, a few 3-ribbers for short ribs, a few boneless rib roasts. My garage stand-up freezer is loaded to the gills and a thing of beauty! RAY
DSCN0928.JPG

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Just my 2 cents here. If you are looking for a medium rare finished product I have found that 325 cook temps and pulled at 122 - 125 will end up with a 7 - 10 degree rise in IT after pulling off the fire. The 375 temps you used transfer too much external heat to pull at 123. Low and slow, Low and slow..

Back in the day my partner and I would pull at 125º and slice the roast up immediately, it was just what we were looking for. Next time I'll take your advice and let the coals get down lower, the Slow-n-Sear arrives today, that'll make adjusting a bit easier. RAY

Ray...fret not sir. I'd eat that "mistake" all day long!! It happens once in a while that one gets away from us but you know it's good when a mistake is still tender, juicy, and flavorful. No sin in that at all my friend, just a tad bit more experience. A day when you don't learn something is a wasted day IMHO. Your day is complete!! Robert

Your up bright and early this morning Robert! Yeah, I figured pulling at 123º would get me right at 130º, wrong! As suggested next time I start with a smaller fire and let the coals cool down more. What I cut were the end pieces Robert, so the center cut may be a bit more to my liking, tho not ideal by a long ways. I'll sous vide some for dinner tonight and see how it goes. RAY

Your up bright and early this morning Robert

I'm up at 3:30 every morning Ray...weekends included. Long story but it's been like that for years. This morning was different in one respect. We've been having major thunderstorms since yesterday evening. There was a lull overnight but about 3:00 another vicious round blew through and I had a Beagle trying to find safety in my chest cavity. She is terrified of thunder and finds solace in being VERY close to me when it hits. Oh well...comfort the puppy and make some coffee...

Robert

Geez, all my buds in CA are getting wet and cold, and now thunderstorms in Texas. Be about 85º and sunny here all week, nice smoking weather. I'm actually wanting it to heat up so the pool will get a bit warmer. Summertime Bob and I are in the pool a half dozen time a day, meat smokin' on the patio, a ice cold barley pop or two, I love it here! We get some pretty fair light shows here on occasion right over the north fence, Bob doesn't seem to mind them as much as some past dogs did. RAY

Geez, all my buds in CA are getting wet and cold, and now thunderstorms in Texas. Be about 85º and sunny here all week, nice smoking weather. I'm actually wanting it to heat up so the pool will get a bit warmer.

It's been cloudy and yucky here most of the week but warm. At 3:00 yesterday afternoon it was close to 80 degrees, albeit cloudy. By 4:30 it was down to about 50, wind howling, and pouring rain. Flash flooding all over the area, lightening storms in every direction and pretty much miserable. Temp dropped so fast there was steam coming off the pool. This morning it's mid 40's, wind still blowing, and raining cats and dogs. Need to go find some meat to make sausage with. nothing else to do today.

Robert

Still good at that temp . Smoke on a hunk of beef like that go good together . Great crust on the outside . More great meals to come from that !

375deg may have been why it climber so fast I smoked one with ribs cut off and tied back on at Christmas smoked it at 325 deg and pulled it at 125 deg internal and I turnout perfect I finally nailed after my 1st time with a prime rib where I didn't know better and didn't pull it off until 135 deg. Not going to do that again. Still looks like a good price of prime ribs you got there even if it was over done for your liking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky