One of my best friends is gone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So incredibly sad. I hope your grandson can make sense of it. Rough day all around. Very fine looking puppy though, I’m sure lots of memories there.
EDIT: If your eyes are dry after reading that, you have no soul.

Last edited:
Very Sorry for you and family Gary. Been there too many times. Our pets are family members and it breaks hearts when they leave us. Remember the happy times. Our Kassie (German Shepherd pup) sends her condolences and I will give her a big hug in honor of Roxy.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
edit I started this thread with "Sorry for your loss", but somehow i deleted it.

20 years ago my wife adopted a cat from friends that were moving.
2 years ago we had to put down MY cat. Yeah, Kitty bonded with me. Midst of covid and Vet was really sucked in the hysteria, but let me stay with Kitty until it was over.

Last edited:
  • Love
Wednesday turned out to be the saddest day in years for our household.
At about 3AM my old hound Roxy, who sleeps by our bed, woke us up with her panting. Not that unusual since, at 14 and a bit years old, a Black Lab usually has to go out and pee during the night. So I got up, spoke to her ,and headed to the back door. I stood alone at the door for a bit, then headed back to see what was keeping her. I found her struggling to get up--her back legs weren't working and she couldn't stand. Miss Linda and I managed to get her out to the living room and I sat on the floor comforting her for the next 5 hours--the vet doesn't open until 9. She kept trying to get up, and finally, at about 8:30, succeeded and wobbled off for a drink of water. She came back and lay down beside me again. Eventually she got up again and went to the back door, so I took her outside to pee. On the trip across the lawn to and from the bush line she fell 6 times.
Miss Linda and I both knew that the time I've been dreading for over a year had arrived.
We loaded Roxy up in Miss Linda's van and the 4 of us headed to town--our 5 year old grandson Orion was staying with us, so he came too. The vet tech was extremely considerate. After administering the sedative which would put her into a deep sleep, she left us alone and we each gave her one of her favorite dog treats.
Orion had been very calm so far. We had often talked about family members being dead and we thought he understood what was happening when we told him Roxy was dead and that death was final. But when I told him we wouldn't be taking Roxy home, he asked why not and and wanted to know why we weren't going to recharge her dead battery so she'd be OK again. As I explained, the crying started--he was heartbroken. Soon we were all sobbing.
We got Roxy and her sister Addy at 8 weeks old. Addy chose Miss Linda as her human and Roxy chose me. She and I have been joined at the hip ever since. She went everywhere with me, except in the big truck--at 76 pounds she was just too much dog for me to lift in and out of the Freightliner several times a day. She slept by my bed, lay on my feet under the table at meal time, followed me where ever I went, shared every treat I had. God but I loved that dog. Roxy and Miss Linda are my two best friends.
Gonna put in my fav picture of Roxy and post this--the tears are falling too heavy to continue.

My girl in her all time favorite place--a 76 pound lap dog. Photo taken March 2019.

View attachment 661776

Gary
May he in endless open fields with rabbits and squirrels to chase to his hearts content. Sorry for your loss.

• Love
Gary very sorry to hear this , and your story put a lump in my throat as we have done the same thing many times but like you the hardest was with my little Gabby. Still miss her everyday. And her 2 sisters are Lola almost 17 and Rosy 14, And we see them aging every day. I hate that we have to do this,

But like you did, it is BEST for our loved ones, very hard to do . But we must because we love them

Very sorry Gary and Mrs. Linda

David

• Love
Gary I'm very sorry for your, Mrs Linda and Orion's loss it's tough when our best friends pass it's a shame they didn't live as long as we do. I hope that in time it gets a little easier and you canmjust remember the good times with Roxy. I know it hurts bad right now but hopefully before to awful long you and Mrs Linda can find a new dog and I'm sure Orion will like that.

So very sorry for your loss. Recently had to do the same.
2 days after, she let me know she had made it home.
They will be waiting to meet us. Take care.
1000000466(1).jpg

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss Gary. I’ll be honest I couldn’t even finish reading as the sense of grief was overwhelming as I thought about a day in the future for my two best friends. Dogs are so precious

• Love
So sorry Gary, condolences to your family.

Dave

I am truly sorry for your loss Gary.

So sorry for your loss. It is always so hard saying goodbye to a friend.

JC :emoji_cat:

Sure hate to hear that Gary .
Been there to many times , but it does get better . Just try to hang in there . Mine is 10 . Hate to even think about it .

Very nice picture Gary. My heart goes out to you and your family.
It's one of the very hardest things to do. You gave her a wonderful life and their ever so thankful.

Sorry for your loss. It's hard loosing a family member. She had a good life and we have to remember it's a life cycle.

So sorry for your families loss, please except our condolences in your time of of grievance.

I know about that loss all too well Gary, please accept my sincere condolences. RAY

Aw hell man.... Sincerest condolences.

So sorry to hear Gary! I know how hard it is to lose a very much loved family member! In time the heartache fades, but it sure sucks!

Ryan

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. I don't think I'll ever quit missing her.
Gary

Been there...it is never easy. Condolences to all whom loved the dog. It is a quirk of life that we will in all likelihood outlive our dogs...

Sorry for the hit to your heart Gary. My sweet pepper girl won my heart the moment we met and I love her to death. Will be tough to say goodbye

So sorry for your loss. Dogs play such an important part of our lives. It hurts, but I would not want to enjoy my days without them!

So incredibly sad. I hope your grandson can make sense of it. Rough day all around. Very fine looking puppy though, I’m sure lots of memories there.
EDIT: If your eyes are dry after reading that, you have no soul.

Very Sorry for you and family Gary. Been there too many times. Our pets are family members and it breaks hearts when they leave us. Remember the happy times. Our Kassie (German Shepherd pup) sends her condolences and I will give her a big hug in honor of Roxy.

I am so sorry for your loss, Gary... It's never easy, I know. Please accept my condolences...

Gary I'm very sorry for your, Mrs Linda and Orion's loss it's tough when our best friends pass it's a shame they didn't live as long as we do. I hope that in time it gets a little easier and you canmjust remember the good times with Roxy. I know it hurts bad right now but hopefully before to awful long you and Mrs Linda can find a new dog and I'm sure Orion will like that.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Gary. Lord knows I know how much this hurts.

Gary, my condolences to you and your family.
I guess we've all been there but when it happens to anyone, it always brings back memories and a tear is shed.

Don

I am so sorry for your loss Gary. I’ll be honest I couldn’t even finish reading as the sense of grief was overwhelming as I thought about a day in the future for my two best friends. Dogs are so precious
Thank you. It's been rough but not unexpected. Be sure to hug your pets every day.
Gary

• Love
Reactions: drdon

Been there Gary.

My Simon lived till 18 and when his time came we had to do what we had to do and it was one of the shittiest days of my life.

So very sorry for your loss. Recently had to do the same.
2 days after, she let me know she had made it home.
They will be waiting to meet us. Take care.
View attachment 661807
Thank you. Those poems are (hopefully) so true. Hooked, I'll be waiting for that sign.
Gary

Gary, my friend… my heart breaks for you buddy! I know how much you loved her and she loved you! It’s an extremely hard decision to make when that time comes! But, know she was not comfortable in her body and you done the right thing! As hard as it is… you done the right thing! It’s so hard bud, but hang in there and think of the good times you all had and know she is free from her pain!

edit I started this thread with "Sorry for your loss", but somehow i deleted it.

20 years ago my wife adopted a cat from friends that were moving.
2 years ago we had to put down MY cat. Yeah, Kitty bonded with me. Midst of covid and Vet was really sucked in the hysteria, but let me stay with Kitty until it was over.

Gary very sorry to hear this , and your story put a lump in my throat as we have done the same thing many times but like you the hardest was with my little Gabby. Still miss her everyday. And her 2 sisters are Lola almost 17 and Rosy 14, And we see them aging every day. I hate that we have to do this,

But like you did, it is BEST for our loved ones, very hard to do . But we must because we love them

Very sorry Gary and Mrs. Linda

David

Sad news indeed. Always tough to lose a loved one. I have the ashes from our 3 dogs on a shelf. #4 going strong and has several years left.

So sorry to hear that. The worst part of owning any animal is makin the decision to end their life. We either feel guilty for doing it too early or waiting too long. It's a no win situation for sure. I always try and remember the good times and try not to dwell on the ending. As long as you are by their side telling them you loved them and they were good boys/girls you have done you duty. I feel that's the least we can do... be there for them comforting them and letting em know how much they meant to us. Gods little angels...

Once again sorry for the families loss. We'll be thinking of you and your fuzzy buddy tonight and I' am sure giving ours an extra chin scritch or butt scratch. Best Wishes.

Thanks guys. God knows it was a hard decision to make and of course I had 2nd thoughts about it on the way into town. But I truly loved her and knew in my heart it was the right thing to do. Hard as it was to do, she is now totally free of pain for the first time in years. And romping and playing with her sister Addy for the first time in 8 years. We decided 14 years ago that when they were no longer able to enjoy life, then out of love we would do what had to be done.
We sat with her until the end, as we did with Addy. Not staying with her and giving her comfort and our love simply never crossed our minds.
Right now she's being cremated and we'll spread her ashes on our land, so she'll always be with us. Addy's ashes are there waiting, and when the time comes, both Miss Linda and I will join them.
The pain of loss will never go away, but it will fade.
Gary

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky