One more lucky guy.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Early this year I almost bought a nice looking used BAR in 30-06, until I looked down the bore.
I swear it looked like the proverbial sewer pipe. 🤮
They aren't a sexy gun to begin with. I preordered a 338 Mag. before they were released to the public. Ammo prices for it is a joke out here seeing that we have to shoot Lead free ammo at anything that breathes, even rats and other vermin.

I have the Bar in 30-06 it's a nice shooting gun. I've been back and fourth between 243 and 270 for awhile the one they actually had in stock was the camo 270 but haven't seen any 270 ammo for awhile now. I've also been kind of looking for a Taurus judge and haven't seen one or the ammo for one.

Reactions: daveomak
I live in New York state.............
slingshot.jpg

My favorite TV show growing up was Gunsmoke...guess it launched both hobbies...now the difficult decision of a RecTeq 700 or a Sig P238 for CC... although both just a as hard to get now.

• Haha
Reactions: daveomak
My favorite TV show growing up was Gunsmoke...guess it launched both hobbies...now the difficult decision of a RecTeq 700 or a Sig P238 for CC... although both just a as hard to get now.
Mine was The Rifleman, with Chuck Connors' steely-eyed glare at the camera, in the beginning credits. My dad was a lot like him. Except without the soft side. And the talking. I thought his 20" .44-40 Winchester with the D-ring had to be the coolest gun out there.

I think the ammo shortage is taking its toll; I've seen a lot of odd caliber rifles going up for auction lately. Some with calibers I've never even heard of before, like .303, and .25-20. Can't be too easy to supply those.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a Mauser my Father brought home from the war. Having trouble with the bullets not feeding right. Might have to take it to a gunsmith.
mauser1.jpg

I SERIOUSLY asked this question before--but got laughed out. Anyone has a good gun for sale-PLEASE "Start Conversation" with me.

I SERIOUSLY asked this question before--but got laughed out. Anyone has a good gun for sale-PLEASE "Start Conversation" with me.

No one on this forum wants to become a felon... Selling firearms across state lines or selling to a felon or selling without proper paper work...
I'd be surprised if you weren't on DHS radar for your post.....
Watch for the guys in suits to walk up your driveway....
Being on the Fed's radar is not a good thing....
You got "laughed out" because ...........................

No one on this forum wants to become a felon... Selling firearms across state lines or selling to a felon or selling without proper paper work...
Dave, what the hell are you smoking?
Private sales of firearms across state lines does NOT necessarily make one a felon.
Private individuals can and do legally sell firearms both in and out of state very easily by simply following a few laws.
It is very easy and completely legal when done right, and no LE are going to come take you away or start watching your house.
There are a few states that make it very onerous, but for the most part it is still somewhat a free country.

In-state sales for most are as easy as meeting the person and exchanging money/firearm, some few states require an FFL to complete a 4473 on private sales.
Some individuals make a personal decision to ask for a drivers license or concealed carry license/permit, make a bill of sale or use an FFL to feel confident they aren't selling to a prohibited person.

Out-of-state sales must go through an FFL, you make the deal and ship to an FFL who then completes a 4473 on the buyer.

When buying, selling or trading a C&R firearm, the parties normally check the other's C&R FFL license and then we ship the firearm directly to the buyer.

Last edited:
You're fine man, I don't know why anyone would laugh at you, other than maybe that many people are trying hard to find guns/ammo to buy and not selling right now.
I understand even less why Dave would say the Man is gonna come for you.

May I suggest brick-n-mortar or online retailers, an auction site such as Gunbroker or any number of firearms websites with Marketplace forums?
What do you want, sidearm, rifle or shotgun?
A fair number of firearms and ammo still available, but your choices will be limited and prices are grossly inflated.

Last edited:
You're fine man, I don't know why anyone would laugh at you, other than maybe that many people are trying hard to find guns/ammo to buy and not selling right now.
I understand even less why Dave would say the Man is gonna come for you.

May I suggest brick-n-mortar or online retailers, an auction site such as Gunbroker or any number of firearms websites with Marketplace forums?
What do you want, sidearm, rifle or shotgun?
A fair number of firearms and ammo still available, but your choices may be limited and prices are grossly inflated.
Thank you so very, very much ! I have used Gunbroker. I should not have mentioned it on here. I am sorry. Thanks for educating some folks on here. Let's drop the subject and smoke some meat

No worries-got my tin foil hat on!

Gun Transfer Laws: Buying Out of State

The issue of gun transfer laws when buying a weapon from out-of-state is one we frequently get questions about. Unfortunately, there’s a great deal of misconception about how this process works. So, in this post, we’d like to set the record straight about what is and isn’t allowed under federal law. However, remember: we’re not lawyers. This article is intended for purposes of general information. If you have specific concerns, then we strongly suggest you direct them to an attorney well-versed in firearms statutes.

“From FFL to FFL, every time, no exceptions.”

Remember that phrase. It tells you what you need to do to stay out of trouble with the gun transfer laws when buying firearms across state lines. Federal firearms license (FFL) holders are the only persons who can legally handle gun sales across state lines. This means that the merchant you’re buying from must have an FFL, and that seller must, we repeat, must, ship the weapon directly to an FFL holder in your state. It’s then up to you to go to the FFL holder in your state and take possession of the weapon. Usually, the dealer will charge a small handling fee for his or her part in the transaction. Be sure to contact the FFL holder in your state to advise them you’d like to have the firearm shipped to their location. By handling interstate transactions in this manner, you’ll be in full compliance with federal laws.

A Word about Personal Transactions

Sometimes, a person in one state may wish to sell a firearm to an individual in another state, usually a friend or family member. In such a case, the safest procedure is for the seller to take the weapon to an FFL dealer in his or her state and have that dealer ship the gun to an FFL holder in the recipient’s state.

Unfortunately, people disregard both federal law and common sense all the time when exchanging weapons across state lines. They try shipping the weapon themselves without any special precautions, as if it were a fruitcake in that box and not a firearm. Don’t try it. If the package is intercepted, you’ll have the law knocking on your door quicker than you can say “Uncle Sam.” Also, if the gun should discharge while en route, then your problems will quickly go from bad to worse. Unless a stint in federal prison is your idea of a good time, you should work through FFL holders in each state. Don’t let a stupid mistake earn you the title of “convicted felon.”

Person-to-Person Transfers

This is how these kinds of transactions work: Uncle Harry is coming in for a visit from another state and wants to stay with his favorite nephew, Johnny, for a while. Harry remembers that Johnny always admired his pearl-handled Colt revolver, and he decides to stow it in his suitcase and surprise Johnny with it. Just a little friendly exchange between relatives; nothing the matter with that, right?

Wrong. Harry is well within his rights to transfer ownership of the weapon to his nephew, but simply giving it directly to Johnny makes him a gun trafficker in the eyes of the law. To make it legal, Harry should follow the FFL-to-FFL procedure previously discussed.

Sound like a lot of hassle? Well, imagine this: Uncle Harry disregards gun transfer laws and gives the revolver directly to his nephew during the visit. Johnny later decides that he doesn't like his ex-wife’s new boyfriend very much and uses Uncle Harry’s old revolver to send the boyfriend to his eternal reward. The police, in the process of doing their job, discover how Johnny got possession of the weapon.

Now Uncle Harry gets a knock on his door from fellows wearing badges and carrying a warrant for his arrest. Harry loses his job, his home, his family, and five to 10 years of his freedom. That’s a lot more hassle than he would have dealt with had he worked through FFL dealers in both states.

“From FFL to FFL, every time, no exceptions.”

We repeat that because it’s the way that every state-to-state firearms transaction should be conducted. Keep your reputation and your freedom intact by following it. Fail to do so, and you’ll have no one to blame but yourself for the consequences. It’s up to you.

Posted in: General

Gifting (or selling) a Firearm Across State Lines

By Danielle Wall
Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, graduations, other special occasions, or just because you want a loved one to be able to protect themselves, here is what you need to know about gifting a firearm across state lines.
The transfer of a firearm across state lines must be done through a Federal Firearm Licensee (FFL) if you want to gift a firearm to someone outside of your home state. This is because federal law is going to govern any transaction that occurs across state lines. An FFL includes gun stores with the license to deal firearms as well as firearm manufactures and licensed gunsmiths. Typically, there may be a small fee in arranging this transfer, but it is the only way a transfer can legally be done between residents of different states.
If you want to make a gift of a firearm to someone outside of your home state, you must take the firearm to an FFL and arrange to have it sent to an FFL in the gift receiver’s home state. Both the gift giver and the gift receiver will want to make sure this transaction happens through the proper channels of an FFL, even though there is no sale occurring. Both parties are guilty of a Federal Felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine if a direct transfer is made without using FFLs.
So, even though the element of surprise is always great when giving gifts, when it comes to gifting a firearm across state lines, the surprise is not worth the potential consequences if the transfer is not done properly. You must go through an FFL in your home state, and the home state of the gift receiver. To find an FFL in your area, you can simply Google: “find an FFL near me” and choose the location which you prefer.

His statement implies he wants a private transaction... It implies he does not want to purchase from a gun dealer....

Nice Chili real nice... You sure attached a lot of conditions to firearms transfer...

Dave, what the hell are you smoking?
Private sales of firearms across state lines does NOT necessarily make one a felon.
Private individuals can and do legally sell firearms both in and out of state very easily by simply following a few laws.
It is very easy and completely legal when done right, and no LE are going to come take you away or start watching your house.
There are a few states that make it very onerous, but for the most part it is still somewhat a free country.

In-state sales for most are as easy as meeting the person and exchanging money/firearm, some few states require an FFL to complete a 4473 on private sales.
Some individuals make a personal decision to ask for a drivers license or concealed carry license/permit, make a bill of sale or use an FFL to feel confident they aren't selling to a prohibited person.

Out-of-state sales must go through an FFL, you make the deal and ship to an FFL who then completes a 4473 on the buyer.

If I'm buying or selling a C&R firearm, the seller normally checks the buyer's C&R license and then we ship the firearm to the buyer... We are our own FFLs for curio and relic firearms.

Nice Chili real nice... You sure attached a lot of conditions to firearms transfer...
Yep, real nice.

Follow state and federal law.
In-state, sell it however you like unless state law says use an FFL.
Out-of-state, ship it to an FFL to complete the transfer.

Wow, that sure is a lot of conditions!

FFL to FFL is not federal law.
There are plenty of FFLs that accept non FFL transfers from private sales.
They do the 4473 and make money performing the service.

Again, In and Out of state private transfers are common, legal and easily done.

Yes Dave, that is exactly what he wants.
But Millbury is not attempting anything illegal unless he asks someone to complete an out-of-state sale without going through an FFL transfer on his end.
There is no implication that he desires an illegal transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: pa42phigh
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky