On fermented peppers(aka hot sauce.)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave17a

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
west central Mo
Have frozen serranos and jalapeno from garden. Also have fresh peppers. Think frozen will work just as well after thawed? Can't really see a differance except maybe for how they are after thawed, not crispy. Thanks, dave

Have frozen serranos and jalapeno from garden. Also have fresh peppers. Think frozen will work just as well after thawed? Can't really see a differance except maybe for how they are after thawed, not crispy. Thanks, dave
Going to follow this as well.

Yes Use a 3% salt brine with 2 tablespoons of white vinegar,it will get the fermentation going faster.
Richie

The bacteria necessary for fermentation may have been "deactivated" during the freezing process.. I have no idea...
You can add a bit of liquor from natural sour cream or yogurt for the bacteria if all else fails..

Thanks all. I do have brine of celtic sea salt from a previous ferment ( Have a Perfect Pickler kit). Think it said to use a tbls. or so on next batch to get things going as a starter.

Sounds like you are set with the fresh and some of your old ferment Good Luck post some pics if you have time
Richie

Thanks all. I do have brine of celtic sea salt from a previous ferment ( Have a Perfect Pickler kit). Think it said to use a tbls. or so on next batch to get things going as a starter.
I do that with pickles or sauerkraut and use a cup of juice from previous batches, works great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky