Olive Oil questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Having had a triple by-pass years ago I have switched to olive oil only. As some have stated varieties have a strong flavor.What we use for everything is the Daily Chef brand 100% olive oil in a 3 liter bottle.It is a mix of refined and virgin olive oil. It is light in color and to me has a mild flavor.A little bite of it in the pan is a big help to the taste of turkey bacon or sausage.

My pesto never tastes bitter out of the food processor. Neither do dressings. Granted I don't blitz the hell out of them.

I agree EVOO is not the best for high temp frying, but makes saute Vegs taste great.

So many other ways to enjoy EVOO:simple pasta with oil and garlic, a slice of garden tomatoe topped with ricotta drizzled with EVOO, drizzled over avocado with some good balsamic....but it's not your cup of tea....

Having had a triple by-pass years ago I have switched to olive oil only. As some have stated varieties have a strong flavor.What we use for everything is the Daily Chef brand 100% olive oil in a 3 liter bottle.It is a mix of refined and virgin olive oil. It is light in color and to me has a mild flavor.A little bite of it in the pan is a big help to the taste of turkey bacon or sausage.
If you want the heart health benefits of olive oil you need EVOO. Served cold.

If you guys aren't having the typical/classic issues with EVOO then I wonder if you're getting real EVOO.  Maybe you're getting some of the adulterated stuff.

EVOO has a couple of well known problems whereas the later pressings don't.

Last edited:

I personally know the person that grows the olives and does the pressing of the evoo I use. I have visited the farm where the olives are grown several times.

The adulterated evoo contains the later pressings. It is not considered evoo unless it comes from the first press.
Exactly!  Thus the adulterated EVOO wouldn't have the issues as a real EVOO.  You still may have a decent enough olive oil but you didn't get the real EVOO that you paid for.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I have not used olive oil very much and have not used it in my BBQ. I have heard a lot of reports about it being EVOO being sold that is really not EVOO. I did not see any brands mentioned. Does anyone know of a reputable brand to try if I wanted to try it out for BBQ?

Citation to your article? References?

There are so many different olive oils on the market, of various qualities. This alone makes any article's authenticity come into question. Did they use some cheap brand from the local supermarket? Or a high quality, locally produced evoo. I can do the same and cite several articles which only recommend the use of a high quality evoo in their recipes. 
Cook's Illustrated according to the poster that I found.  Cook's Illustrated wouldn't use a crappy olive oil.  I didn't provide a link because that's forbidden here as I understand it.

True EVOO will have the problem.  Crappy adulterated EVOO probably won't because it's not real EVOO.

There is no such thing as adulterated evoo from my friend/producer. It's all first cold pressed and nothing else.

Your Bertolli Light Tasting Olive oil is the adulterated variety. There are several oils combined and cleverly marketed as evoo, of which it is not.
Wrong again!  The Bertolli I referenced is not EVOO.  I never said it was and Bertolli doesn't claim it to be EVOO.  It's a later pressing.  Notice it says Light Tasting.

You are right that there's no such thing as an adulterated EVOO.  If it's not first cold pressed and nothing else it's not EVOO, just like you said.  If it claims it's an EVOO and it's adulterated then it's not really EVOO.  I'm agreeing with you 100%.  That was my point when I made the statement.

Last edited:
One thing I've heard about Olive Oil is......   because of it's hydrogen bonding or some molecular bonding, it is susceptible to oxidizing REALLY fast....   it can become rancid fast...   and I heard it is suggested it be used within 6 months of manufacture because of this.....  The same for Canola Oil....

Anyone else hear that ??
That's why we only buy smaller bottles of both, but I can't see us going 6 months because we use so much of them....

I am not going to further debate evoo uses and taste with a member who "has no use for it". I respect your preference for light tasting oil but I recommend you refrain from passing advice here based on something you read on a recipe website.

Some folks just can't 'get it'.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Last edited:
To answer the op and his question in post #1, I have and do use Olive Oil to help retain moisture when I smoke. The first time I was hesitant because I wasn't sure of the end result but my ribs that day were looking dry about half way through a cook when I realized I was out of my usual spritz concoction so I grabbed a can of Publix brand Olive Oil Spray. Worked like a charm and I've used it several times without any adverse affects plus really seems to keep them moist.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions! The friend who made the suggestion to me about olive oil said it would help retain moisture, make the skin less crisp, and wouldn't add any noticeable flavor. So if you don't want the skin more crisp, which I don't, what's the advantage in using any oil at all?

And mustard? From my experience with mustard it seems that would add a lot  of flavor that most people wouldn't want. I don't get it...
I recently used olive oil because I ran out of mustard, I didn't notice any additional flavors.

As for mustard, it is my go-to for getting a rub to stick! I haven't ever noticed a taste difference with or without it. So if the idea is to get a rub to stick, or give the outside a little insulation, mustard will work great!

I've used mustard, olive oil and Pam and haven't noticed any taste difference (it's still a mystery to me how mustard flavor can just disappear like that). That being said, unless you're just wanting to stick massive quantities to the meat, just the moisture in the meat will hold the rub if you let it sit for a few. I do use thick wooshie sauce on my chuck roasts, but nothing on ribs, etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky