Old Oklahoma Joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The propane hookup is probably for getting the fire started. That’s a pretty common accessory for stickburners.

As far as the size, it really depends on what you are cooking. Future capacity is certainly important, but if most of your cooking is going to be a couple of briskets or a few racks of ribs, it’s going to get old firing that up and feeding it for a cook like that. Also be sure you have a good wood supplier as you are going to go through a lot for a bigger smoker like that.

Look at new Horizon smokers if you want an affordable backyard sized smoker. You can get a good quality one new for less than $2000
Guy said he runs sticks for 4 hours and turns the propane on like an oven, which would contribute to efficiency

Reactions: thedude99
If it's in decent shape offer him $1200 and tell him you needed the other $700 to rent the 18-wheeler to get it home :emoji_laughing:

Robert
My thought as I’ll need to rent a trailer t get it

Oh well, so much for my idea. There's a custom fabricator in North Texas that built mine and he did a great job. Price was fantastic also and I just love it. Best smoker I've ever had, and I've been through a few of them. If it hadn't been a logistical nightmare I'd recommend you contact him.

My thought as I’ll need to rent a trailer t get it

You may want to rent several large friends also. I'm guessing that thing is gonna weigh north of 1500 pounds. Mine's not nearly that big and is almost 1000.

Robert

Reactions: Mychops
Oh well, so much for my idea. There's a custom fabricator in North Texas that built mine and he did a great job. Price was fantastic also and I just love it. Best smoker I've ever had, and I've been through a few of them. If it hadn't been a logistical nightmare I'd recommend you contact him.

You may want to rent several large friends also. I'm guessing that thing is gonna weigh north of 1500 pounds. Mine's not nearly that big and is almost 1000.

Robert
Thanks for thinking of that. Yep the guy estimated at 800 lbs so I’d need 2-3 people with me just to get it on a low trailer

Thanks for thinking of that. Yep the guy estimated at 800 lbs so I’d need 2-3 people with me just to get it on a low trailer

If that thing is as big as it looks in the pics I'm betting it weighs more than that. Heck, I have a 36" Santa Maria grill that I put together in the driveway a couple years ago only ti discover that is was in the ballpark of 800 pounds and I about killed myself getting it into the house, through the house, and out onto the patio...and yes, it is on good wheels. It was just astronomically heavy!!

Robert

If that thing is as big as it looks in the pics I'm betting it weighs more than that. Heck, I have a 36" Santa Maria grill that I put together in the driveway a couple years ago only ti discover that is was in the ballpark of 800 pounds and I about killed myself getting it into the house, through the house, and out onto the patio...and yes, it is on good wheels. It was just astronomically heavy!!

Robert
Decisions decisions! Thanks for the feedback and help. I’m planning to go look at it but first may contact and offer knowing it’ll cost at least a couple hundred to move it.

Robert

Horizon puts the weight of a lot of their smokers on their website, and the one a size down from the one that looks similar to this one is listed at 900lb on the pallet. It’s a lot smaller.

Wow, that was my original guestsimation! After looking at the pics of that new one I have to side more with Roberts estimate, that thing is going to be brutally heavy, and some real awkward weight to move. A trailer with a winch to pull it on would be the way to go.

Horizon puts the weight of a lot of their smokers on their website, and the one a size down from the one that looks similar to this one is listed at 900lb on the pallet. It’s a lot smaller.

Y’all weren’t kidding on the weight. Getting it on a trailer will be a task or adventure

Need? More than likely not. Potentially in the future if I cook for weddings/parties. I’m looking at much smaller offsets that are more $$. This also has a propane hook up.

Just playing a little devil's advocate after these comments. If you ever plan to be cooking up some Q for weddings and parties you'll be wanting a big smoker like that on a trailer that'll tow behind your truck. Say you buy it and get moved, you will NEVER move it again, and weddings and parties don't come to you, you go to them. Just sayin', that's a big old thing to have hanging around. RAY

Just playing a little devil's advocate after these comments. If you ever plan to be cooking up some Q for weddings and parties you'll be wanting a big smoker like that on a trailer that'll tow behind your truck. Say you buy it and get moved, you will NEVER move it again, and weddings and parties don't come to you, you go to them. Just sayin', that's a big old thing to have hanging around. RAY
You’re right. I’d likely buy a trailer for it if I can get a decent deal on the unit. Otherwise it’s only moving, if I do.

Thanks for the help!
Offered 1200 though I’d look at it first and 1500 if it can be delivered.
This is probably bigger than my needs, though finding any offset has been a big challenge. For smaller cooks, I’d use the WSM.

For a wedding or event you could cook at home and load up Cambros.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky