Old Hickory knives.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I used to hear of these knives often years ago. And were regarded as a really decent knife. Anybody here bought any lately? And if so. What are your thoughts.

Ive never used them but they look like nice knifes. I just looked at Smokey mountain knife works web site and they carry a ton of them and looked to be pretty decent prices.

Reactions: Steve H
en9DEkH.jpg
I have one of my Grandmother's Old Hickory butcher knives, a 3-rivet one that is branded " Shapleigh's Hammer Forged 1843-1934". Shapleigh Hardware Company opened for business in St. Louis in 1843 and here is a page from the 1936 Catalog.
vmkCpvI.jpg

I have 1 and dont care for it, blade is very hard to sharpen and i may have given or thrown it away, its a 8-10” blade and never fit me good, will look and see if I still have it

Thought I had a set, but guess mine are Old Forge knives, look kinda similar to top knife in thirdeye thirdeye pic. They have high carbon blades and hold an edge very well.

Ryan

I have 4 of them, but I know the "type" of knife for only two of them... the butcher knife (like the first on in thirdeye's top pic) and the paring knife. They are great knives IF you or someone you know knows their "sharpening" stuff...you're not going to get a decent edge hitting it with a steel.

They WILL if you just let them air dry. I always wash and thoroughly dry as SOON as I finish with one.

I have had for awhile now a set of Zwilling JA Henckels old country. I like them they hold an edge and do what I ask of them, I don't know if they are still available but are a good set of knives. Just every year I do linseed oil the handles

Grew up with those knives. I use them daily. Last time I bought any was maybe 15 years ago. They are made in USA by Ontario Knife Company. Mine are good ole’ 1095 American carbon steel. They stain and rust readily, but keep an ok edge. I use a fine diamond steel to straighten them up, which is kinda often. Great all round knives. I guess I’m partial to them because that’s all we had in the house growing up. It’s what I’m used to. My wife hates them, but she has adjusted. Lol here is the link to OKC web site.
https://ontarioknife.com/collections/old-hickory®-1

I have a set of Old Hickory. They are for outdoor cooking and prep. Great knives at a great price. Easy to keep sharp. Just keep the wood handles 'oiled' and hand wash and dry. This kit should have you covered:

I have a set of Old Hickory. They are for outdoor cooking and prep. Great knives at a great price. Easy to keep sharp. Just keep the wood handles 'oiled' and hand wash and dry. This kit should have you covered:
I shou sugi ban all my wooden knife handles to preserve and ebonize them, so I don't need to worry about oiling them...it works great.

pc farmer pc farmer I definitely wasnt laughing. Well I was, it just struck me as funny they are advertising a "double edged sticking knife". My first thought was.."a fighting knife?" and then I looked and its $8.00 a dozen.
Jim

I want a "double edged sticking knife" like in the ad thirdeye thirdeye posted!
Jim
Here it is!

Here it is!
That is a must have. kinda like a double bit axe. Works all day before sharpening.

Reactions: JLeonard
You don't need to periodically re-oil or apply another coat of linseed?
Darn near very wood handled knife I own gets use on the boat in salt water, if you don't treat the wood it's gonna dry out and crack unless it is flamed or oiled a few times a year, so I flame mine because I hate oil on a knife handle.

Here it is!

Looks like a "Throwing Knife", but probably too light.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky