Old fridge build

Discussion in 'Fridge/Freezer Builds' started by nevrsummr, Dec 15, 2015.

1. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

Picked this up for free and it looks like it will work great. Has the right insulation and baked enamel coating. So far so good.

2. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

3. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

Time to add some flashing and cut in the elements.

4. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

I also picked up an old oven for free and cut the top to make burner holes. Yes, it's going to be a watt burner.

5. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

Sorry I am new and the uploads aren't working correctly.

6. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

7. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

I plan on using the large burner for heat and the small burner for smoke with oven dials for each. The goal is cheap. I am also building another smoker for which I ordered the auber controls today. Open to suggestions

8. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

Looks good. Haven't built one myself so can't offer any advice, but I know lots of folks here have. Good luck and thanks for posting, David.

9. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

Thanks David. Here's today's progress

10. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

added shelf brackets and finished the flashing

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  11. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

skinned the door

12. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

added door gasket. Seems to seal tight.

13. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

does this logo mean anything to anyone? Age?

14. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

15. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

Now if only I could find parts. Need drip pans. Racks. Elements. And I think it would be ready to burn in. I am planning on using the original oven dials for controlls. On the large burner I will use the bake control with temp sensor. Hopefully it will be more accurate than just the burner rheostat. For the small smoke burner I will use just the rheostat dial. Thinking of mounting them on the left side of the fridge even with the drawer top. That way I can use the high temp wire that came from the oven.

16. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I like CHEAP also. The cheaper you go the more creative you must be, it is a process learned and you are rewarded with your creation.

17. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

Thanks HT good to know. I highly recommend this brand to anyone. Has original rock wool type glass insulation. Very glassy/itchy. Plus no paint, all enamel. On the downside the enamel is tough on drill bits haha good thing they are cheap

18. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

I must say I am getting so anxious to start smoking again. It's been a long time. I had to stop looking at food posts because there's so much I want to try it's just aggrivating

19. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

this is my plan for a drip pan, I would rivet angle metal surrounding the enclosure (including door) then slide a pan under it. The smoke would have to go around the pan. I am worried that heating the drip pan so much could create problems? Any advice?

20. nevrsummr

nevrsummr Meat Mopper

Well, seems like not a whole lot interested, but I got it running today. Installed the oven controlls, wiring, cord. Runs like a champ. The baking thermostat is working well at controlling the temp. Still need to find a drip pan and some racks. It's currently on its burn in at 400 degrees. Oh, also need to mount a temp sensor somewhere.