Old Country Experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JT78681

Original poster
Apr 4, 2021
I am new to this forum and felt compelled to sign up to share my experience with Old Country BBQ.

I was back and forth on upgrading from my Akorn to something nicer such as a Primo XL. I’ve been using this little Akorn for years and it has served me well. Great entry level kamado cooker! I pulled the trigger on a Primo XL, but it turned out to not be in stock and it was a 4-6 week wait. Well that wasn’t going to work for me since I am planning to smoke a brisket for my sons birthday party right around the corner.

I started to then look at offsets and seeing if there were any available in the central Texas region. Everything I came across was either too expensive or had long lead times. Then I stumbled upon Old Country BBQ’s, specifically the Brazos.

I got in touch with Rick and he advised me that they had a six week lead time, but that they had just shipped a few to various Buc-ee’s (Temple, New Braunfels, Bastrop), so I was like great let me call them before I drive an hour only to be disappointed. Well guess what! You cannot find phone numbers anywhere for the stores. I called Rick back and he reached out to the purchasing department to confirm that New Braunfels had at least one still on hand.

This was Friday afternoon, so I get up Saturday and make the commute just praying that they still had it. Pulled up and to my surprise they had 4 of them! I sent Rick a text and thanked him. He could have just told me sorry your going to have to either wait 6 weeks or take a gamble and just drive to Buc-ee’s, but he didn’t instead he went the extra mile and was a great guy to talk to.

This thing is a beast compared to my little Akorn! If anyone is in the market for good stick burner for around $1K then look no further. Also, drive to your nearest Buc-ee’s to see if they have any on hand. I thought only Academy carried them until a few days ago.

Attachments

• 7A3A70EE-18A1-4C17-A296-FBF8E617F330.jpeg
    7A3A70EE-18A1-4C17-A296-FBF8E617F330.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 69
Welcome from Mississippi! I eyeball the OC cookers every time I go to Academy. I like them. But I've got to get a place with a bigger patio/deck area. My wife has embargo'd any more cookers since We are running out of space on our patio.
Jim

Reactions: MJB05615
Welcome from Iowa! And as Jake said... you're parked in the fire lane, I think that's a hint ! Nice looking smoker!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)!

Glad you snagged your pit. I love my offset on the right day. They require a lot of fire tending and are great fun when you have the time to devote to them.

Welcome! Nice upgrade from the Akorn; I’ve read good things about the Brazos. You can make some top notch food on that thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky