Oklahoma Onion (Smash) Burgers on Homemade Butter Buns @ the Firehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I've been wanting to make these for about 2 weeks ever since I found that golden butter bun recipe. Well tonight was the night! Got the dough for the buns made last night in the bread machine, then formed the buns on pans; covered with greased cling wrap and overnight in the fridge. Pulled those out around 3pm today to warm up and start rising.

We used 2# of 50/50 venison/beef and 2# 50/50 venison/pork for the smash burgers. I pulled out the deli slicer and shaved the onions for the burgers. Also sliced 1/2 a head of cabbage I had leftover from the Lo Mien....made a coleslaw to go with the burgers.

I arrived at the station around 4:30pm and popped the buns in the oven. Meanwhile I mixed the meats and weighed out 3oz. balls. Then brought everything over to the Safety Center next door and got everything lined up for assembly on the Blackstone.

The butter buns fresh out of the oven...
IMG_20230209_171604.jpg

IMG_20230209_171609.jpg

The 3oz. meatballs ready to go...
IMG_20230209_171750.jpg

On the Blackstone, about ready to pull them off...
IMG_20230209_193208_01.jpg

That was the first round, we did two rounds on the griddle. All the burgers were doubles. Meatball, little salt, big pile of shaved onions, smash, cook.... then flip. Add cheese, then bun top on the cheese with the heel on top.

The plate...
IMG_20230209_180317.jpg

IMG_20230209_180323.jpg

*pickle optional....

Last edited:
Looks tasty as hell Keith. I love smash burgers that way. Nice work bud

Whoa! Those look incredible! The firehouse crew ate good last night! Very nicely done!

Red

Wow Keith. Amazing burger!

Man you had me with the buns. Then the finished product was mouthwatering.

Jim

Those are some good looking burgers Keith. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

And here I thought hell was undesirable. :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:

Nice burgers Keith!
Thanks Fellas!

Just the way I like 'em . Those are perfect in my opinion . Really nice burger .

Just the way I like 'em . Those are perfect in my opinion . Really nice burger .
Thanks chop! That was my first time making the Oklahoma Onion burger,,,,but it most certainly will not be my last!! Perfect is a great way to describe them! Even with no condiments they were on point!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky