Oklahoma Joes not getting hot enough after mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Krenn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
South Dakota
So I bought this OJ on Craigslist for cheap. Did the heat diffuser mod and the temps from one side to the other are a lot closer (within 20 degrees). Issue is, It is very hard to bring the temp up and takes a ton of charcoal. I even put a fan in the heat box and ended up burning the wood rack in half. Had a hell of a time maintaining 225-230. Do I need to do some modifications on the diffuser? Thoughts?

Have you tried the "V" grate in the firebox? It allows much better air flow to the fire. I picked up a used OKJ Highland back in the winter, but haven't had much time to fool with it. I did a thorough cleaning inside and out, painted the outside, and re-seasoned it. With 3/4 a chimney of lump and some splits, It had no problem pushing past 300° with the firebox vent wide open. Mine has no mods so far.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
So I bought this OJ on Craigslist for cheap. Did the heat diffuser mod and the temps from one side to the other are a lot closer (within 20 degrees). Issue is, It is very hard to bring the temp up and takes a ton of charcoal. I even put a fan in the heat box and ended up burning the wood rack in half. Had a hell of a time maintaining 225-230. Do I need to do some modifications on the diffuser? Thoughts?
When you installed the diffuser, how much gap did you leave at the end?

Anyone know where I can purchase a V grate and a new bottom grate?
Try a search on Amazon for OKJ V grate. I'm pretty sure that's where I saw them. It was a drop in unit ... bottom grate with the "V" made onto it. It was angle iron with expanded metal. I will eventually weld up my own custom "V" grate.

For a new fire grate:

Also check out the other stuff BBQsmokermods has for OKJ while you're there.

Try a search on Amazon for OKJ V grate. I'm pretty sure that's where I saw them. It was a drop in unit ... bottom grate with the "V" made onto it. It was angle iron with expanded metal. I will eventually weld up my own custom "V" grate.

For a new fire grate:
Got 3 of these grates on order. Will likely remove or change the way my diffuser is installed. Thanks for everyones help. The video says it all!

Reactions: DougE
Do I need to do some modifications on the diffuser? Thoughts?
Airflow through the smoker is critical. Remove the exhaust stack and make sure it is completely clear on the inside. My OK Joe had the same problem and the exhaust stack was partially obstructed with ash and creosote buildup. Cleaned it out and all was good again. Also, smoke with the exhaust wide open. Restrict the inlet to control temps if needed. To me, this is evidence that the smoker could use a bigger exhaust stack...

Hi - I have a Highland with the two-piece baffle from BBQ Smoker Mods. I bolted the baffle into the firebox side using the original firebox bolts which adds strength to the cook chamber side wall near the firebox. I left the two pieces of the baffle unbolted with a slight gap to allow more heat/smoke into the main chamber. This allows me to adjust slightly during a cook if needed. After a while, I still wasn't completely happy with the heat distribution, so I removed the baffle and cut it at the lower crease with an angle grinder and cutting wheel. This allows me to leave another slight crack in the baffle plate near the fire box. That completely solved my heat distribution problem with the Highland - although I did a number of other mods earlier.

As far as the V shape firebox grate, I did cook that way for a long time, but I eventually graduated to a OKJ fire basket. It actually works better than the V shape and it works better than the original stock system. I believe the Smoky Trails BBQ guy recommended that in a more recent vid.

I am really very happy with my OKJ Highland at this point. The temp is stable and it cooks wonderfully. Good luck.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky