OKJ Bandera vs Dyna-Glo Widebody

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Xx Mako xX

Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
I’m in the market for a new smoker. Currently have the OKJ 3 in 1. Works great just not enough space to cook on. I’ve seen multiple reviews of both the Bandera and Widebody. I love in the northeast and use the smoker year round so which ever I get needs to hold temp even in crappy weather. The Bandera looks to be more solidly built compared to the Widebody, has any had any experience with both? I’d be worried about how thin the steel is on the Widebody. Also how do they compare with temp stability. Hopefully you guys can guide me.

Thanks

Mako

did you purchase one? I have the Wide Body now and was thinking about getting the Bandera to compare, but one one has it local.

Attachments

• 2018-11-24 11.59.04.jpg
    2018-11-24 11.59.04.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 18
I don't own either model but they did have a Bandera at Walmart last year when I bought my OKJ Highland. It seemed relatively sturdy. Not sure that it will be thick enough for the Northeast without some alterations. I live in So Cal so there is no issue with it being too cold to smoke. If you have the budget I would consider something like the Horizon or Lone Star Grillz. They are pricey but the steel is 1/4" or thicker and can certainly be a huge plus in the colder north. I am betting though that with a bit of effort you can make anything work for you. It's just how much you are willing to sink in to a "cheaper" model. If it approaches the price of a heavier gauge smoker then there would be a good reason to consider spending the extra for a smoker that won't require any "improvements" at all. That said, I have done next to nothing on my own Highland and it smokes beautifully. Just from my own experience with the OKJ product line I would lean towards the Bandera. Just my opinion though.

George

Hey thanks for the input, I already have the Wide Body, and have done 1 smoke on it (Turned out great) going to do 4 more pork butts Friday so well see how it goes. Im not to worried about the cold weather here MD is pretty mild compared to other places.
My goal with this whole thing was to get the best bang for my buck under $300. I was originally looking at the Smoke Canyon at Bass Pro for 279. Then I ended up buying the Dyna Glo Wide body (Was prob to big) but got it for $220. then I was just searching online found this Forum and then saw the Bandera and its selling for $299 online. (My only thought it the fire box on the bandera looks a tad bit bigger, its higher off the ground, and looks like thicker metal than the Wide Body.

Also if you look at the picture above I only started smoking this year back in May on the Small Mr Meat Smoker I found new in the box at a barn sale.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky