Okay, Something is Screwy with Email Notifications

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Try this:

1. Click on your alert avatar
2. At the bottom of the page(drop down menu) click preferences
3. Scroll down the preferences page until you see "Receive a notification when someone..."
4. Choose all the options or just the ones you want.
5. At the bottom of the preferences page there should be a "Save" button. Click it to save your changes.

Hope that works

Chris

I tried all kinds of settings on that, and even asked some mods for help, and all I got was a Headache, and was lucky to get it back the way it had been before we started changing things. I might try this another time, but not now---I already got a Headache!!

Bear

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning :emoji_laughing: Just kidding John. If you need help just ask and I'll try to walk you thru it. Hope the headache goes away.

Chris

So now that we were talking about "Fine-tuning" my Alert Notifications, now I have NOT gotten an Email notification since 6 PM last night. That's 15 hours without any email notification!

I guess it's not working !

Bear

So now that we were talking about "Fine-tuning" my Alert Notifications, now I have NOT gotten an Email notification since 6 PM last night. That's 15 hours without any email notification!

I guess it's not working !

Bear
I got this one.

I got this one.

Yup---And I got this one!!!
Now it's to the point that I only get notified of this particular Thread. That's some of this stupid Computer Jazz that I don't understand.
No notifications for 15 hours, and then I get one of the Thread on notification problems.---Go figure!!

Bear

I used to have every email notification from watched forums and threads sent but that was blowing up my phone 24/7 with email tones which I need for emails outside of SMF. I found once an email notification directed me to SMF I just had to go to the top of any page to my avatar with the number of alerts so I didn't have to go back to email then be directed to SMF then back to email for every notification. The alerts are chronological newest on top. I have my watched forums set to New msg and alert and only the elec smoker forum to send me an email as well as an alert and new msg but once on SMF I hit my alert avatar to knockout a new msg or thread which takes care of having to read the email notificatiom. When my alerts are gone I can delete all my email notifications if your just using it as a door bell like I do. Under my watched forums list on the right side has my types of notifications I want for each forum and can be changed at the bottom of the list. Under my preferences I have my notifications unchecked but what notifications I have under my watched forums list seems to supercede what is unchecked under the preference list.

Watched forums
Screenshot_20200912-084626_Chrome.jpg

Preferences are unchecked under emails but above I have added email notifications to my elec smoker forums. Redundancy?
Screenshot_20200912-085844_Chrome.jpg

I used to have every email notification from watched forums and threads sent but that was blowing up my phone 24/7 with email tones which I need for emails outside of SMF. I found once an email notification directed me to SMF I just had to go to the top of any page to my avatar with the number of alerts so I didn't have to go back to email then be directed to SMF then back to email for every notification. The alerts are chronological newest on top. I have my watched forums set to New msg and alert and only the elec smoker forum to send me an email as well as an alert and new msg but once on SMF I hit my alert avatar to knockout a new msg or thread which takes care of having to read the email notificatiom. When my alerts are gone I can delete all my email notifications if your just using it as a door bell like I do. Under my watched forums list on the right side has my types of notifications I want for each forum and can be changed at the bottom of the list. Under my preferences I have my notifications unchecked but what notifications I have under my watched forums list seems to supercede what is unchecked under the preference list.

Watched forums
View attachment 462927

Preferences are unchecked under emails but above I have added email notifications to my elec smoker forums. Redundancy?
View attachment 462932

The way I like mine to work is to send me a notification of anything posted that I've been watching, but only 1, until I get there & open it. Therefore if 8 comments were made on one thread, since I was there, I only get 1 notice.

But now we're talking "Fine-Tuning" again, when up to this point, I'm only getting notified when somebody posts something on THIS THREAD.

Bear

It should send only one alert per watched thread . After you go and look , there may be 4 post for that one alert . Then it will send the next future comment after you look at those .
You can get an alert on the forum page when someone you follow starts a new thread , but I don't see a provision to receive that in an email .
blowing up my phone 24/7 with email tones which I need for emails outside of SMF.
I changed the sound on my phone so I know if it's SMF or my kids , or someone I don't want to talk to .

It should send only one alert per watched thread . After you go and look , there may be 4 post for that one alert . Then it will send the next future comment after you look at those .

Exactly!!
I have mine set that way, because I don't want 3 pages of the same 2 or 3 threads.
When Mine works it usually works right. Only problem lately is it will work for a couple hours---Then Quit for 8 or 10 hours.

Mine seems to be working now---I got 5 Notifications in the last 3 hours. That's about my normal amount when it's working.

Bear

Well, It lasted 14 days for me---Worked good for 14 days.
Now no alert emails since 11:50.
Just letting it be known.

Bear

I GOT THIS ONE

Thanks Mike!!
I got this one.
That's the same thing that happened back on September 12th.
That time I hadn't gotten any for 15 hours, until you made a comment.
That seems to get it fixed for me.
Somehow You're able to wake it up.
Or maybe it's just because I made the post about it not working.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks like it's in one of it's moods again---Been 15 hours since I got an email notification, yet there are 37 new ones on the "Alert List".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky