Oh, heck. Another beef bacon thread!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning all!
Thanks to Robert tx smoker tx smoker . I also jumped on the beef belly bacon.
I received a 13 pound slab of belly. And quartered it. Gave 2 pieces a 14 day cure using diggy dogs work sheet. After 14 days. I rinsed and patted the meat dry. Then let it set overnight in the fridge uncovered.
Next morning I put it in my OK Joe.
P3190248.JPG

Using apple pellets on this batch.
P3180247.JPG

Saturday after 6 hours.
P3190250.JPG

Sunday after 6 hours. Got a couple spots on it. Opened the dampers more for better air flow. I cut those spots out.

P3200252.JPG

After resting until Tuesday. Cut these at approx 1/4"slices. I like thick bacon!

P3200255.JPG

Packed 8 slices to a bag. This weekend I'll fry some up. The color these took was impressive.

Got a couple spots on it.
Hi Steve,
What are spots from? Just drippings from the smoker, or are they something that "just happens"?
Looks delicious! Still gotta try this!
When I do, I'll have to package it like yours, otherwise I'd face plant in a couple of pounds at a time. YUM!

Don

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Really nice gift. Bet that going to be some good bacon!
Thanks Brain!

Hi Steve,
What are spots from? Just drippings from the smoker, or are they something that "just happens"?
Looks delicious! Still gotta try this!
When I do, I'll have to package it like yours, otherwise I'd face plant in a couple of pounds at a time. YUM!

Don
Lol! Thanks Don! These spots will sometimes happen when cold smoking. I've had it happen with cheese before as well. It is creosote. Not dangerous or anything. But, it is pretty bitter tasting. Don't ask me how I know. Since you are cold smoking. It'll create a little heat. Which can cause condensation to collect on the top of whatever you're using to cold smoke. And can drip down onto the product.

Now that is some pretty fine looking beef bacon Steve! You didn't want to at least toss a few slices into a fry pan for a test taste? Maybe make a BLT for lunch? RAY

Now that is some pretty fine looking beef bacon Steve! You didn't want to at least toss a few slices into a fry pan for a test taste? Maybe make a BLT for lunch? RAY
Thanks Ray! I'll try some tonight. Had too much going on when I cut it up.

Looks good Steve! Next weekend mine will be done, hopefully it looks as nice as yours!

I’ve had the spots before too from condensation, I noticed it seemed to happen more at night when it’s a lot colder outside.

Awesome gift put to great use! Looks incredible Steve!
Thanks Jed! It sure was!

Looks good Steve! Next weekend mine will be done, hopefully it looks as nice as yours!

I’ve had the spots before too from condensation, I noticed it seemed to happen more at night when it’s a lot colder outside.
Thanks Joe! That's true. It was 34 out when I did this.

That looks killer, nice work !
Thank you!

Nice. How does homemade bacon compare to store bought? I’ve never tried it. But I’m interested
Thanks! That is subjective of course. I like it because I know exactly what's in it. And it has less salt.
A lot of store bought bacon is injected with flavors. Or sprayed with liquid smoke. Don't get me wrong. There is really good bacon to be had it some stores. But then the price reflects it.
Plus. I just enjoy doing it. If you get belly on sale. You are saving money too.

That looks delicious Steve! Gonna taste awesome! Love the color as well!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice work Steve! Beef, its what's for breakfast!

PS, I have never seen that little Ok Joe unit..... That thing is pretty cool!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky