Offset Temps in Summer_Hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golfpro2301

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Recently playing around with new offset build and noticed with current outdoor temps at about 100f I cant keep temps down. Handful of coals will keep offset running at 300F but no luck in getting down 275. I am running 2” insulated box with 3/8” inner steel and 1/8” outer.

Anyone have shade ideas keep sun off it. I could use pop up tent but dont currently have one. Thought about putting firebox side in garage and have stack side hanging out. Since it is modern offset with cc inlet at grate level I thought about filling bottom completely with water as a massive waterpan

As always your help is appreciated

Anyone have shade ideas keep sun off it. I could use pop up tent but dont currently have one.
I recently got the more expensive canopy from Harbor Freight for a job requiring me/us to be outside and I was impressed with it.

C7B36F40-5479-4FFD-877A-8BE3D1547109.png

I found the same thing, when I light the fire at 4:00AM and placed the meat at 5, temp control was normal.
As soon as the sun came out the temps really went up and fire tending became a real chore.
In order to run under 275 I had to use mini splits and had to add more every 10 minutes.
The slightest neglect would let the coal base get too small or if too much fuel was added (and we are talking about SMALL splits) the temps would go to 300+.
That's when I discovered that hot and fast was not all that bad.

Hot and fast will work in the heat. I live in about the hottest spot on the planet in AZ. I found I could keep my SQ36 offset down to the 280º zone during summer by adding small splits often, and leaving the firebox door open anywhere from a crack to a few inches. Sold it last fall and got a 26" Weber, dammed glad I did. RAY

Hot and fast will work in the heat. I live in about the hottest spot on the planet in AZ. I found I could keep my SQ36 offset down to the 280º zone during summer by adding small splits often, and leaving the firebox door open anywhere from a crack to a few inches. Sold it last fall and got a 26" Weber, dammed glad I did. RAY
SECOND hottest place on the planet - I spent considerable time in Scottsdale and AZ aint got NOTHIN on the misserable hot climate here in the 9th circle of hell / Texas. :emoji_thumbsup:

Imagine every time you step outside you are in an overheated steam room...

I prefer saunas and jump in nice cool pool afterwards :emoji_cold_sweat:

Last edited:
I moved my smoker to where it's not covered, but JUST North East of our car port. That way the shade starts hitting it just after noon.
Unfortunately this puts the smoker near our swamp cooler... So it's a trade-off. Luckily my wife likes the smell of smoke, lol.

Reactions: Retired Spook
second the pop-up canopy idea, can find them cheap sometimes {returns to stores} or clearance at the end of the season. also never overlook garage sales at finding a good used one.

SECOND hottest place on the planet - I spent considerable time in Scottsdale and AZ aint got NOTHIN on the misserable hot climate here in the 9th circle of hell / Texas. :emoji_thumbsup:
I've been to Huston in the middle of July. Texas folk think it's hot at 95º because it feels hot. Come to Gilbert in August, you'll want to get back home to cool off. Pic was taken in the shade of my patio. RAY

DSCN2076.JPG

As I implied, I lived in Scottsdale for a few years - I will take 115 and dry any day over 100 and humid. I was there in June 1990 when it was 121-degrees - you bet that is hot and it can put a person in the ER - but I still prefer it to the Godforsaken humidity here in hell. For me, anything up to 103 was fine - strangely enough though, 105 felt quite a bit hotter - but still, my clothes did not feel like wet washcloths...

I used to fly fish for the huge Carp in the ASU Research Park on Elliott Rd and the 101. Had some fun there!

One other fun fact - Honey Bears BBQ on E Van Buren & the 202 used to make some damn fine Tennesee style ribs for those occassions when it was impractical to lite the smoker! :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah, I recall fishing off some pier in Galveston when it was around 95º, pretty miserable, I wouldn't live there. We were visiting some folks who lived in Friendswood, sweating at five in the morning, sweating all day. Here in Gilbert I don't even turn on the misters until it hits about 106º, gotta have them and a pool to be comfortable here. RAY

Reactions: Retired Spook
I have loved fishing my entire life - south shore Long Island, NY, Montauk, NY, Jersey shore, Hawaii, Seattle - I went fishing here once, in Galveston, off a very long pier - actually caught a mess of fish but God was the weather miserable. Haven't been fishing since. I finally learned where Welcome Back Cotter's term "sweat-hog" came from!

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky