Offset smoker/Wind issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soulfarmbbq

Original poster
Nov 26, 2021
Hi. I have a 275 gallon offset. Homemade from a oil drum.
Tested on it 2 days in a row and was burning great. 4 am this morning I threw 3 briskets on, was doing great for 4 hours. The weather changed, wind picked up drastically. I could not get the fire to burn well or burn clean it would smolder out, I tried door open door closed. 3 hours later I gave up and finished in the oven. Can I really not use this in the wind???????? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 37BA8592-39F9-474C-97B5-01F688E69154.jpeg
    37BA8592-39F9-474C-97B5-01F688E69154.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 40
It doesn’t look like you have any vents in the firebox, so you would need to use the door as a vent. If that is the case I would position the smoker so the wind is not blowing directly at the door. I would put the smoker in a position so the door is perpendicular to the wind.
Al

When I ran an offset smoker, I always ran it with the firebox vent facing away from the wind. That way I didn't have to deal with gusts Messi g with things. If the wind changed, I went out, and spu the smoker around. Granted I didn't have one anywhere near that big. But the same concept should apply, and may work for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky