Offset smoker temp query

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davekat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Gday guys finally bought home my new kitchen and am trying to do a burn in or season. Have bothe fire box and chimney vents wide open max temp after 3 hours is 250f is this normal?

Im using charcoal brickets and have included pics to try and help This is just at the start but once they all lit is when i hit max temp

I will add that it is cheap so i know it needs the chimney extended down to the plate and other mods but just curious as to if im doing it right

What is the charcoal sitting on? If you started with more coal it would have heated up faster.

Richie

It sitting up on a grill plate with good airflow under it. I went out to check 15 min ago and its up at 300 now still with vents wide open and have added maybe another 15 brickets

I think a charcoal grate would give a better air flow.Possibly a charcoal basket even keeps the coal close.I haven't had a side burner in years some of the other guys should be along good luck

Richie

Good morning! I know when I used my Charbroil I had it down to about a chimney and a half of charcoal to start, and then added a chimney of lit charcoal about every hour to keep the temp up. Those things are pretty drafty so that time varies quite a bit. Looks good on the deck by the way! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Good morning! I know when I used my Charbroil I had it down to about a chimney and a half of charcoal to start, and then added a chimney of lit charcoal about every hour to keep the temp up. Those things are pretty drafty so that time varies quite a bit. Looks good on the deck by the way! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Yea cheers mate i have my camp oven/dutch oven underneath the smoker as well incase i decide to do up something abit quicker. I can do ribs in about 1.5 hours fall off the bone in that thing.

When it comes to my temp with the smoker i guess it will also change when i use aome wood chunks as well but all in all i cant wait for saturday to come so i can try it out

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky