Offset Added to Masterbuilt Propane Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
Along with the othe modifications I have done, I decided it was time to move the burning wood out of the smoker cabinet. The wood burns inconsistently and often incompletely giving poor smoke and causing temperature swings. I’ve tried chips, chunks, pellets, dust and combinations of all of them.

So, take a cold rainy day, a warm garage, and a fresh pot of coffee...

This is my variation on the mailbox mod. Except, I have added an air pump.

FCFB6181-E270-48A0-911F-D68C0738CDF7.jpeg

C82B4603-660A-4F6E-B8BE-BB3BC653138E.jpeg

The rear tube contains an air eductor venturi to move the smoke and create a draft. It is designed to use pellet tubes. The v-notch holds the tube at an up angle and keeps it centered.

72133D47-C655-4284-AA3F-DE0460B1C75E.jpeg

The offset adds zero temperature rise to the cabinet which is great for cheese. Using the air valve and the box door as a damper, I have a lot of control over the amount of smoke entering the cabinet. The smoke is a beautiful thin blue smoke. And, it is consistent. The smoke is also clean without any tar residue left on the cabinet walls - or meat.

D5768B1F-8817-4186-A612-3D5D30CF4F7B.jpeg

Today I chose a ham using Jeff’s rum recipe and Pitmaster’s Choice pellets to be a test pilot. I dialed back the smoke and was able to maintain a pretty consistent temp.

A23CEAC0-9120-4032-ACF6-026702789362.jpeg

This is the best ham I have ever eaten. The smoke was perfect and it is very moist. I am now a mailbox convert!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky