Off set smoker converted to propane with amnps......Help

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by bigdavejr, Sep 20, 2013.

1. I have a offset the I converted to propane and I want to use the AMNPS for hot smoking as well as cold smoking. I have a small dutch oven in the fire box over the burner that I used to use for wood chips. I have tried placing the AMNPS in the cooking chamber ans it goes out. I tried placing it on top of the dutch oven and the whole thing wen up in flames. I turned the dutch oven over so the flame could not get to and it did not go up but the whole thing smoked as if I lit the entire AMNPS. Lastly I placed it on the rack about 3 inches above the upside down dutch oven and still the entire thing ignited? Any suggestions?

2. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Is there any room on the floor next to or below the burner?

3. Its mounted to the bottom of the fire box. I could fab a new mount an raise it though but would the flame not consume the smoke I thought I read some posts stating that would happen. I may have figured it out, opposite the fire box in the cooking chamber there is a drain hole I will fill it and do a test run today.

4. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Place the AMNPS in the CC....   Pictures of the FB would help....  especially the air intakes... 

Dave