Odd pastrami temp. stall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ihocky2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Tried my first pastrami yesterday. I had a corned beef flat left over from St Paddy's Day sales, soaked it for about 8 hours with water changes to reduce the salt, seasoned and rested overnight in the fridge. Brought it up to room temperature yesterday morning and threw it into the MES at 225 with maple chips. After about 60 minutes it was up to 95 degrees and at about 2 hours it was at 130. Went to do some running around and came home 2-1/2 hours later and it only climbed to 145 and was starting to feel dried out. Added a water pan and left it run for another 3-1/2 hours while at a family commitment. Pulled it when I got home and IT was still in 170's.

This was only a 3.5 pound flat before trimming, probably 3.25 after trimming. I figured this would only be 6-8 hours max to hit 195, this thing was only 1 to 1-1/2" thick to start with. I've done full briskets in not much more time. I typically don't use water pans, maybe that would have helped this time? I just can't figure out why such a small piece of meat hit such a hard plateau.

Reactions: JLeonard
Mine had a weird stall yesterday, stall was at 156 for over an hour. Had to open the bottom vent wider on the kettle. Lots of wind yesterday 18mph so that didnt help.

I have a 2 1/2# in the MES 30 right now. Will see how it goes. 225 Deg, no water pan, pellet tray. Hoping for 210 internal.

I can't even make a guess as to how many pastramis I've smoked but the majority of mine will stall around 160° and I hold them there until I get the color I want, then pull and finish.

I did three yesterday, and slightly off topic but these were Member's Mark from Sam's Club. These had more surface moisture than I've ever seen. They have the same statement about nitrite and phosphate in the injection as the Grobbels brand they used to carry, but the last 6 or 8 have been noticeably thicker. I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't re-branded by Grobbels.

I can't even make a guess as to how many pastramis I've smoked but the majority of mine will stall around 160° and I hold them there until I get the color I want, then pull and finish.

I did three yesterday, and slightly off topic but these were Member's Mark from Sam's Club. These had more surface moisture than I've ever seen. They have the same statement about nitrite and phosphate in the injection as the Grobbels brand they used to carry, but the last 6 or 8 have been noticeably thicker. I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't re-branded by Grobbels.

How do you finish yours after you pull them?

The flavor on this one is great. Probably a little over dried from the amount of time on heat without the water tray. If I had a deli slicer it would still be better than anything from a store. But cutting by hand it is still a little tough.

How do you finish yours after you pull them?

The flavor on this one is great. Probably a little over dried from the amount of time on heat without the water tray. If I had a deli slicer it would still be better than anything from a store. But cutting by hand it is still a little tough.
I do a pressure finish, but steaming works too it's just longer and I get better broth from the pressure cooker. It takes between 40 and 55 minutes depending on weight/thickness.
Q261ztk.jpg

I have a 2 1/2# in the MES 30 right now. Will see how it goes. 225 Deg, no water pan, pellet tray. Hoping for 210 internal.
After 4 1/2 hrs I just hit 150 deg. Going to be much longer than I expected. My first time with Pastrami or a brisket.

I prefer lower barbecue temps at least for the first few hours. The beef already has the corned flavor, I've added the peppery pastrami rub, so that's not going away, but I want a noticeable smokey flavor. Anytime I've cooked at higher temps, they still tasted okay but were not as savory as ones I took my time with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky