November Smoked Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbally

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 24, 2007
Western Colorado
Just a quick smoked shoulder for dinner yesterday.  Did the shoulder up fairly naked to see what the takes would be like.  Got in a lot of new Oak and Hickory from Oklahoma and wanted to get back to an oak and hickory smoke and see how the meat made out with no injecting.

So this is outside only, Yoshida's, adolfs papain, pepper, chili powder (dark), coriander, cardamom, and garlic minced.

Then to the smoke with hickory and oak at two to one.

prepped.JPG

Into the Smoker with the shoulder.  And while I was at it might as well use up the rest of the jalapenos by creating some slow smoke chipotles.

smokershdr.JPG

chipotles.JPG

12 hours later we have a nice meal ready.  But first, on the weekend we usually do what we call happy hour.  We spent the spring and early summer working on outdoor kitchen and relaxing spaces.  A few pictures of the smoked crab stuffed mushrooms.

snacks.JPG

chimnea.JPG

eveningchim.JPG

Finally it is pulled and sauced and ready to eat. We also made a slaw to go with it.  The bottle is facing the wrong way, but I like the Head Country hot Barbeque sauce.  It is not available in my area so when the wood comes in from Oklahoma I always have a case or two of the Head Country thrown onto the delivery.  If you have never tasted this sauce, it is among the top two or three I have ever used.  While I sometimes mess with it a little, 95 percent of the time I just sauce and serve.  It is that good.

finishedshoulder.JPG

pulled.JPG

slaw.JPG

Thanks for looking.  Was real interesting to get back to a non injected pork shoulder.  Very nice flavor with the oak and hickory really coming through and the pork being well PORK.

Last edited:
Looks like great food in a great setting!!!!

icon_cool.gif

Yes Bob like Jerry said it looks nice and comff out there by the fire and alittle snack and vino you will be right in there. Now let's talk about your crap fill mushroom do you have a recipe or did you just pick it up in the lawn somewhere. JK an poking at ya................. Great Job

icon_cool.gif

Now let's talk about your crap fill mushroom do you have a recipe or did you just pick it up in the lawn somewhere. JK an poking at ya................. Great Job
Thanks I changed it, last weeks experiment with crab was the crap filled.  I did not post them due to the failed thesis.  No problem poking fun, if you do Chef de Cuisine development you make a lot of crap to find a good one.  This was not, this had smoked chipotle in it and came out very nice and very spicy.

Looks great Bob. Gotta love home a simple butt can have so much flavor on its own without injecting.

Nice smoke, the Q looks really appealing. Nice to see someone doing a non injected shoulder for a change. And thanks for sharing the nice pics, looks like a comfort zone. It's all good my friend.

Hey Bob that is a great looking shoulder and a very nice setting in your yard too. Thanks for sharing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky