1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by x0xsaywhutx0x, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:54 PM.

1. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

I’ve been following the breaking news...very sad..

2. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

For sure sad but goes to show nothing is forever.

Warren

3. Truly sad. I've been there a few times.

4. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I was heartbroken when I saw the news earlier this week. As Europe has proved more than once, they know how to restore iconic structures. I think it's great that two French billionaires have stepped forward, pledging over $300 million.

5. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I just saw they are up to 950 million in pledges so far

noboundaries likes this.
  6. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

Watching that heart-wrenching sight on Monday reminded me a little of reading the news, back in 1967, that McCormick Place had burned down. This was the steel and glass convention center structure in my hometown of Chicago that was constructed in 1960 and was thought to be completely fireproof. How could anything made of glass and steel burn, and come down completely in a matter of hours?

It was rebuilt and the new McCormick Place looks very much like the original.

I had the same question as I watched Notre Dame cathedral burning: how could a structure made of stone generate that much intense flame? I guess there was a lot of wood structure inside the stone, but the size and intensity of the fire sure amazed me.

Hopefully they'll be able to direct all the goodwill and money already being pledged towards reconstruction to actually get things done. I make no prediction one way or the other, but I'm sure we all remember the endless meetings and haggling about what to do in lower Manhattan to replace the World Trade Center.

7. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

it's amazing it was 800 years old, some of the buildings built today start falling apart after 40

8. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

Yeah, just the other day I was counting all the ballparks and stadiums that have been built in my lifetime, but have already been torn down, like Shea and Candlestick.