Not so good first cook on my Lang 48

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Meant to post earlier. Did another trial run on Saturday. I started off with charcoal again. About a full chimney. Started with my weed burner. This time I wanted to get it hotter than last time in the cook chamber. I was using my probes to monitor temps. Had one about 6 inches away from the wall of cc closest to the firebox and one right under the gauge on the door. Stated with the door wide open for the first 15 minutes then went to open latch for the next 30 to closed. I tried this time with longer and thinner splits than before. Once I thought I had a the temps up to about 370 I closed the FB door. And let it ride for a while. Did not smolder but a good blue smoke. After about 30 minutes of letting the temps fall I added some more thinner splits and let burn for a couple of minutes and closed the door. Again no smolder but a good blue smoke. I would say a much better run. I also repositioned the smoker for this. I will post picks of this.

Reactions: flatbroke
B9902A45-3CF9-4A8E-98AE-42C09F292F8A.jpeg This is how I stated the fire. About 5 thin splits.

18361C0C-CCF2-4C94-B6F2-51F94B40AC13.jpeg 45 minutes in

Attachments

• FC40C433-0ED4-4594-AC7F-A9CFAB56E053.jpeg
    FC40C433-0ED4-4594-AC7F-A9CFAB56E053.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 21
20E390F9-2209-4C48-B01C-183D61E1F4FA.jpeg D1CDD3FE-C974-4810-9932-BCDBEA56FF22.jpeg
Added a bigger stick at about an hour. Here are my temps. Top temp is probe next to fire box. Bottom temp is probe right under the gauge on the door.

E5C5C7D7-8752-43EB-A7A5-F5431ABB818D.jpeg 365CF52D-283F-48E6-8792-9E57F248CD15.jpeg E5C5C7D7-8752-43EB-A7A5-F5431ABB818D.jpeg Wasn’t planning on cooking that day. At this point I decided to try and cook something fast and easy. Did hamburgers and some wings. Turned out great. Just need to figure out the big temp difference from end to end.

See you just gota learn to run the FB. You had way to big of splits in there before. You were scared to put to many pieces of wood in also. If the temp is low put more wood. It’s that easy.

Your electric temp gauge could be pulling heat off the metal rack is why it’s higher reading. Your fire looks little dirty to me. Becuase I’m not seeing any hot coals that are produced during a good clean fire. My pit is all stainless and insulated so I’d there your fire should be looking like mine or hotter. Yours is not insulated meaning it’s needs more fire. Wood will burn hotter then that fire. If your using a weed burner just use all wood to get it going. Cheaper this way and will run hotter so it’s a win win if u ask me
17898990-3788-4F96-B09A-BE528E1E2259.jpeg

Last edited:
See you just gota learn to run the FB. You had way to big of splits in there before. You were scared to put to many pieces of wood in also. If the temp is low put more wood. It’s that easy.

Your electric temp gauge could be pulling heat off the metal rack is why it’s higher reading. Your fire looks little dirty to me. Becuase I’m not seeing any hot coals that are produced during a good clean fire. My pit is all stainless and insulated so I’d there your fire should be looking like mine or hotter. Yours is not insulated meaning it’s needs more fire. Wood will burn hotter then that fire. If your using a weed burner just use all wood to get it going. Cheaper this way and will run hotter so it’s a win win if u ask meView attachment 395434
I will try starting just with wood next time for sure. Thank you.

They will need to be cut about 1” diameter or so and maybe couple decent size ones on top. If there bigger it will just take little longer to start. Usually takes about 1 minute or so holding the weed burner at the wood. Once I think it’s lit I shut the door and open the door a minute or so later to make sure it’s going. The stack will go white if it goes out also.

And this way I never get white smoke as long as I hold the weed burner on the wood long enough. The velocity and power the weed burner has will get your wood burning good trust me. Just takes 1 or 2 minutes.

I start my fire with 5 sticks every time. Using coal as the base/starter View attachment 394570
Propane torch and now most recent this bad mama jamma my brother made me View attachment 394571
all with our issue. You don’t alwaya get clean see through smoke. You will get some color.
Once the door shut did you guys wait for a couple min to let it readjust and level out on it’s reduced oxygen. I’m not in to fires science but it’s worth trying ? I always get some white smoke when adding a piece of wood before it takes off.

That propane burner looks like a good idea. Probably saves time getting a fire started.

Wood is for cooking and propane is for starting fires.

Last edited:
View attachment 395423 This is how I stated the fire. About 5 thin splits.

I started with a whole chimney and put about 3/4 of the coals down but spread them out a little thinner than what you did. Then I laid 2 splits parallel and about 5 inches apart on the coals and put 2 on top running perpendicular to the ones on the bottom. I then shoveled the rest of the charcoal in the middle and put 1 one more split perpendicular on top of the middle 2. Worked like a charm. As soon as I can I will send a pics. My phone is being a pain.

Edit: and I am buying a weed burner. They are around $30. The cost of charcoal alone will make up for that $30 in no time. Plus, easier and faster to get it going.

edit 2: harbor freight has the greenwood torch for $30.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to use the 20% off coupon at harbor freight, you can pull it up on your smart phone in seconds on google.

I’ve never had charcoal in my pit only wood. Here’s my kindling to start the fire. I used to chop them up after putting my meat in the smoker since I put the meat on before even starting my fire and this saves time having bunch of kindling ready. Takes less then 5 minutes for me to start cooking.
BDB8EAC5-5F64-4260-B5A7-CACB357AA494.jpeg
That’s white oak and plum wood

Don’t forget to use the 20% off coupon at harbor freight, you can pull it up on your smart phone in seconds on google.

I’ve never had charcoal in my pit only wood. Here’s my kindling to start the fire. I used to chop them up after putting my meat in the smoker since I put the meat on before even starting my fire and this saves time having bunch of kindling ready. Takes less then 5 minutes for me to start cooking. View attachment 395450That’s white oak and plum wood

Thanks! Just ordered!

4B53EC9E-B006-4EF4-A4D9-D69B26896DF9.png
I have a weed burner already! Paid a little more for mine though. I ordered this and should be in tomorrow.

View attachment 395451
I have a weed burner already! Paid a little more for mine though. I ordered this and should be in tomorrow.

I bought a kindling cracker as well. The "kindling cracker" brand was going to take too long to ship so I bought a "mighty hand". Let me tell ya, it don't work for sh*t. I put a spilt on it that I would consider small compared to what I see in youtube videos and I beat the crap out of it with a metal mallet, barely even a dent. Now I don't have it mounted to anything yet so I am doing it in the grass, but even then I expected it to work. I am not sure how much of a difference it will make when mounted to something sturdy but I may be sending it back for a refund. I am thinking of going the axe route.

edit: let me know how yours does.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky