Not so good first cook on my Lang 48

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey man you are not being a pain at all. have you called lang to see If they can offer any advice? sorry it isn't working out.
I did after the cook. Gave me pretty much the same advice as what I’ve heard from the forum. I did not want to say to much until I tried everything I could think of.

Reactions: flatbroke
It’s sure is strange. I have 4 dampers and only use 1. Maybe the drain is sucking air In and pulling it back toward fire. Not sure if it’s possible but worth trying if it’s wide open. I am close to sea level.

I have stuck a rod down the stack to make sure the damper is open. I also keep my door open when I first start the fire. And it is. As far as letting the fire burn for a minute it will not. I’ll add a split that is hot and black from the top of the fire box. So hot I have to use a tool or glove to handle it. Place it on the coals. Give it 5 minutes with the stack open and watch it catch fire. Then as soon as I close the door it’s smuldering. Got frustrated with it yesterday and left it in there for 20 minutes like that. Came back and the fire is completely out and temps were down to 160. I think I’m set on removing the expanded metal from the dampers on the fire box. I know it does not look like much but it you compacted the grate it would make more surface area then it looks. Don’t know. Will try it and go from there. I also am a member of another forum and discussed the same issue. Some say they just use the door and their damper and keep the pinwheel dampers closed. Yes this works but I did not pay for a smoker that works that way. Sorry to be a pain, just looking for a soulution. Thank you all for the help and advice.

Seems like we are the first to have a lang with the mesh over the pin wheel dampers. I don't have too much of an issue with just using the door for air flow because I would rather that than take an angle grinder or sawzall (which I don't own) to my new smoker to cut them out. Keep us posted for sure.

edit: and just to add. I re-watched ben do the demo of how to start the fire in the 36 and he loaded it with splits. He used a torch and not too long after shut the door. Then he added another split before the original load was even burnt down to coals. All of this and it had no problem burning normal without the fire going out.

Last edited:
I start with some charcoal and 4-5 splits of wood. i get it going and let it burn down most of the way. while i let the smoker preheat i have it have the cook chamber open with the lock and let it draft extra heat. i usually get it to 350, spray it out twice and close the dampers to 3/4 closed and use the door open a crack to closed to control heat. and run about 275 degrees. I put a split in the fire about every 30-45 minutes.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I start with some charcoal and 4-5 splits of wood. i get it going and let it burn down most of the way. while i let the smoker preheat i have it have the cook chamber open with the lock and let it draft extra heat. i usually get it to 350, spray it out twice and close the dampers to 3/4 closed and use the door open a crack to closed to control heat. and run about 275 degrees. I put a split in the fire about every 30-45 minutes.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Which leads me to believe that the mesh over the pinwheel holes can't be having that much of an effect. If you are running 3/4 closed and are still able to maintain temp this could disprove the mesh theory.

It’s sure is strange. I have 4 dampers and only use 1. Maybe the drain is sucking air In and pulling it back toward fire. Not sure if it’s possible but worth trying if it’s wide open. I am close to sea level.
Next time I fire it up I will shut it. Worth a shot anyways. Never know.

Which leads me to believe that the mesh over the pinwheel holes can't be having that much of an effect. If you are running 3/4 closed and are still able to maintain temp this could disprove the mesh theory.
Probably so. I will let you know if and when I cut it out. If I do I may just half a damper at a time and set what it does.

Here are my thoughts get a piece of 3/4" expanded metal. And lay the opposite direction your grate expand metal runs. It will keep the coals better.
I then would try using smaller splits. And just practice with fire management. Try maintaining whatever temp your smoker wants to run with the vents 1/2 open.
We will get it figured out.

The firebox on the 48 is 18×18.
The firebox on the 36 is 17×17.
Not sure if that matters...
Will probably try it again over the weekend and May try to find some different wood again. Who knows

If I have time to cook this weekend, I'll try to record starting and maintaining a fire. With my luck I'll start having problems! Will keep you guys posted. Hang in there.

From the pics you showed it didn’t look like a Strong enough fire resulting in low cooking chamber temps

Well guys, I cooked yesterday on the 48 and again had no problems. I even cooked lower than usual, 235°-250° , and it performed nearly flawless. I didn't record because someone stopped over and got me drunk. I did make my split sizes smaller to maintain at a lower temp. I'm usually running the cooker between 260° and 275°. This time around I put more wood in than usual to start and took the temp up @325. Stayed up there for a good 30 to 40 minutes. Temps evened out nicely across the rack. Steamed it twice. Put some ribs on when it came down to 275° and never looked back. Good clean smoke for over 6 hours. Do not give up. Keep tinkering.

Attachments

• 20190503_132410.jpg
    20190503_132410.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190503_131109.jpg
    20190503_131109.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190503_131436.jpg
    20190503_131436.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: hardcookin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky