Not able to reach temp after tuning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akhend

Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Hello all. This is my first post, but I have read until I’m blue in the face trying to figure out the solution to my problem. I have an OK Joe Longhorn pit that I’ve had for about 5 years now. However, until recently there haven’t been any mods. I added gaskets to seal the smoke chamber, I extended the internal smoke stack to a couple inches above grate level, and also added 1/4” thick 6” wide tuning plates as well as a thinner baffle plate between the chambers. I’ve gotten the temps to even out from side to side enough to satisfy me, but I can’t get my temps above about 150. I also made a charcoal box for the fire box. I burn mesquite wood. I also put a bread pan with water right next to the fire box on grate level. I have probes at grate level to measure temperature. Any suggestions?

Reactions: SonnyE
How much space is there under the baffle plate? Hot air needs to be able to flow at a sufficient volume to get past and through all the tuning plates before cooling off. Some guys don't add a baffle and just adjust the tuning plates to equalize the chamber temp...JJ

Depending on how you installed the baffle plate, the air flow could be restricted.. Some put the baffle plate in at an angle and that install cuts off air flow... Not good...
Tuning plates should be installed at or above the opening of the FB/CC to have decent air flow...

Thanks for the input, guys. I think y’all are correct about it being not enough flow. I’ve had a raging fire in the box and it barely made a difference. The only problem with the longhorn model is the top of the opening between chambers is above the grate in the smoking chamber. This would allow air to go above the tuning plates if I took the baffle completely out.

I guess I’ll cut my baffle to where it sits right below the grate and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Or you can remove it completely and skip the tuning plates and have a Jambo designed smoker..
Jambo Design.jpg

I actually just watched a utube video on a cheap alternative for tuning plates but for me, I kind of like the difference in temp and I don't want to mess with air flow b/c I think you get a cleaner burn.

Or you can remove it completely and skip the tuning plates and have a Jambo designed smoker..
View attachment 387879

I’ve read those work pretty well. But, in order to make mine like a Jambo, I would have to move the smoke stack completely. Not just extend it down. I think I’ll try cutting the baffle and keep the plates for now. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help. I’ll report back once I make the changes. It may be next week before I can put a fire in it again.

I’m happy to report that after reducing the size of my baffle plate, my pit easily gets to temp. Thanks for all of your help.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky