Norfolk area recommendations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
We are heading to Norfolk to see our nephew graduate from USCG Bosun’s Mate school. Anyone have some good food recs? Doesn’t have to be bbq, and fancy is ok too.

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Man I love Captain George's Seafood if you can travel on the 20 minutes or so to VA Beach. It's a buffet but high end and just incredible in my opinion. Fresh seafood including mountains of crab legs. Prime rib, bbq ribs etc. Has never let me down.

Reactions: JLeonard and LoydB
Hmmm.. I don't eat out much, but if you can narrow it down a bit I might be able to help. I live in Chesapeake, but am far from a stranger to Norfolk as is anyone who lives here. Not sure where the Bos'n mate school is but I'll assume the base in Portsmouth.

Norfolk is also home of a historic ice cream and BBQ place called Doumars. They originated the waffle cone. I saw it on Triple D. Fieri also has a bbq restaurant there

Haven't been on in a while, so I just now saw this. If you're still in the area, I'd recommend the following places:
Middle Eastern/NYC Style Pizza: Five Boroughs on High Street in Portsmouth.
BBQ: A Taste of Texas by Lynnhaven Mall, or Dave's BBQ off Virginia Beach Blvd.
Subs (best Italian I've had in the area, and they have a Brisket sub as well): Sam's Texas Sub Shop in Norfolk.
Fish Tacos: Bro's Fish Tacos off Virginia Beach Blvd.

I could go on and on, but I suspect you're probably not in the area any more...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky