noob trying to grasp all this!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Your weber sounds great!

I dry brined the chicken, but since the others were my wife's sudden surprise, we just used rub on them.  She has some rubs she bought, I'll need to see what they are.  So maybe I undercooked the beef, I'll have to experiment!
My beloved daughter has set me up with dry rubs she buys when she's out touristing on vacation and goes into stores that sell that stuff. My wife runs a home daycare and I've been lucky enough that two of the dads have also bought me bottles of dry rubs since they're into grilling and smoking like I am. I'll use one type or mix and match when I'm not using one of my own concoctions.

Experimenting is the fun part! Also, we brined a Thanksgiving turkey one year. We might have made a mistake but it turned out so salty we've never done it again.

My beloved daughter has set me up with dry rubs she buys when she's out touristing on vacation and goes into stores that sell that stuff. My wife runs a home daycare and I've been lucky enough that two of the dads have also bought me bottles of dry rubs since they're into grilling and smoking like I am. I'll use one type or mix and match when I'm not using one of my own concoctions.

Experimenting is the fun part! Also, we brined a Thanksgiving turkey one year. We might have made a mistake but it turned out so salty we've never done it again.
I was going to use a teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of the turkey.  Any idea whether that's too much?

I was going to use a teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of the turkey.  Any idea whether that's too much?
That's way too much salt. 15 teaspoons of Kosher salt = 4 .5 TABLESPOONS. On saveur.com I just read a recipe for a 15-pound turkey (which is about the size you plan to smoke) that calls for TWO TABLESPOONS of salt and one teaspoon of pepper. The recipe acknowledges that that amount of salt may seem like a lot (not to me) but you're supposed to rub the salt-and-pepper mix all over the bird and inside the cavity. Notice that this is a dry brine as the turkey is then kept in the fridge uncovered for 1-2 days.

My wife, the turkey expert, has her own wet rub mix which is far superior. She uses butter, olive oil, and herbs and rubs it all over the outside of the bird and beneath the skin. She also places onion, fresh garlic, fresh thyme and lemon wedges in the cavity. aromatic herbs in the cavity and rubs the outside of the bird with a combo of butter, olive oil, poultry seasoning, dried thyme, and salt and pepper (the latter two to taste). She cooks the turkey upside down in the oven, turning it right side up around 3-4 hours in. We usually buy a turkey that's between 20-22 lbs.

Her turkey, in our opinion, turns out far better than brined turkeys. She roasts it at 325° until the IT is 160°. She then lets it rest for 30 minutes as the carryover takes the IT up to 165°. I think I wrote someplace that the turkey last year looked just like professionally-cooked turkeys you see on TV and was the best I've ever tasted.

Thanks, daRicksta, I'm glad you warned me.  My wife said the chicken was a little salty for her taste, so now I know to cut it in half!  On the other hand, I like the wet rub you describe, too, and I'm going to discuss options with my wife.  She said she bought a 12 or 13 pound turkey.

Thanks, daRicksta, I'm glad you warned me.  My wife said the chicken was a little salty for her taste, so now I know to cut it in half!  On the other hand, I like the wet rub you describe, too, and I'm going to discuss options with my wife.  She said she bought a 12 or 13 pound turkey.
I like salty foods but even I have my limits, Dogwalker. And there are quite a few times I've oversalted things like egg dishes and steaks.

My wife got that recipe from a cookbook and last year she perfected it. When we cook we're all about the flavor profiles and for us (and our family and friends last Thanksgiving, she perfected it. It's taken her about 3 years to get it right. I can ask her where she got the recipe if you like.

Reactions: dogwalker

I like salty foods but even I have my limits, Dogwalker. And there are quite a few times I've oversalted things like egg dishes and steaks.

My wife got that recipe from a cookbook and last year she perfected it. When we cook we're all about the flavor profiles and for us (and our family and friends last Thanksgiving, she perfected it. It's taken her about 3 years to get it right. I can ask her where she got the recipe if you like.
Please do!  We've decided, especially since my wife bought a frozen turkey (we didn't realize they're already injected) that we'll definitely tone it down.  We'll create a wet brine with brown sugar, a little kosher salt, and some other things (still TBD).  I think it's going to be good - at least that's my hope!

Please do!  We've decided, especially since my wife bought a frozen turkey (we didn't realize they're already injected) that we'll definitely tone it down.  We'll create a wet brine with brown sugar, a little kosher salt, and some other things (still TBD).  I think it's going to be good - at least that's my hope!
OK. I'll ask her about it today and get you that recipe asap. We don't buy the injected turkeys. We bought our Thanksgiving turkey at Costco yesterday. We got a 12 lb. turkey today. I'm saving that to smoke in the summer. Most likely won't wet brine it. There's a difference of opinion out there whether turkey should be brined or not. To my wife and I, if the bird's prepped correctly it doesn't need to be brined.

Dogwalker, I'll PM you with the wife's recipe so I'm not arrested for hijacking this thread.

Dogwalker, I'll PM you with the wife's recipe so I'm not arrested for hijacking this thread.
police.gif
police2.gif
police.gif

Seriously though Rick---This is Dogwalker's Thread. He was the OP.

I'm sure he won't call the Cops.
icon14.gif

Bear

police.gif
police2.gif
police.gif

Seriously though Rick---This is Dogwalker's Thread. He was the OP.

I'm sure he won't call the Cops.
icon14.gif

Bear
Thanks, Bear. But maybe he's guard dogwalker when it comes to his thread. I just respond off emailed notices that someone quoted me in some thread. I never remember who the OP is.

Bear, that baggie you just found? That's not mine...

Thanks, Bear. But maybe he's guard dogwalker when it comes to his thread. I just respond off emailed notices that someone quoted me in some thread. I never remember who the OP is.

Bear, that baggie you just found? That's not mine...
I don't know if it was always there, but at least for awhile now it says "Thread Starter" above the name of whoever started the thread. Look above Dogwalker's Name.

And I think it's your baggie!!!

Bear

Last edited:

I don't know if it was always there, but at least for awhile now it says "Thread Starter" above the name of whoever started the thread. Look above Dogwalker's Name.

And I think it's your baggie!!!

Bear
You're bloody right. He's the thread starter.

It can't be. Last time I used baggies I was hangin' ten shootin' the curl at Wiamea Bay back in 1962!

You guys are nuts!  
439.gif

I'm certainly good with it!  This is a great forum and great guys.  I hope I'll be able to contribute something at some point!

You guys are nuts!  
439.gif

I'm certainly good with it!  This is a great forum and great guys.  I hope I'll be able to contribute something at some point!
What Bear said. And I don't think it's so much that we guys are nuts but that Bear is guilty by associating with me. That's the price he pays for being my friend.
beercheer.gif

You'll be surprised how quickly you'll start thinking you know what you're doing. I've learned a lot from SMF and that's why I give back when I can.

Holy crap! Hangin ten during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I was -5 years old!

-Kurt
And that's why CPS took me away from my parents. I was 10 years old and living in the San Fernando Valley. What the hell was I doing alone cruising the pipeline across the giant waves of Waimea?

Dang, I can't think of any witty (or even half-witted) reply!  I was raised a little farther east of San Fernando,over in Georgia.  The only waves I saw were from people on their front porches!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky