Noob Question•Best Pepperoni Seasoning?•LEM Cannon Question(s)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Neon Skys Productions

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Hello,

First post, new to jerky making, made about 10lbs of finished muscle and ground jerky so far (beef and venison), I do not have a smoker just a dehydrator and I want to do a true slim-Jim style of pepperoni stick, I have a LEM cannon and have read that I might be able to put a 10mm stuffing tip on my cannon? is this true? I wish to make 15mm cased pepperoni stick but I'm not interested in buying a stuffer just for pepperoni sticks if I cannot do with just the LEM Cannon at this time I just won't do it right now. And while I got your attention, what do you think is the best pepperoni stick seasoning? or recipe? , I read allot of seasoning reviews but most are not very informative with comments like "taste good" or "best yet" maybe "very tasty my family likes it" none of these say anything about the product and its authenticity to flavor and I want an authentic tasting SLIM-JIM or as close as possible, I will also use some in my regular ground jerky so thats something I have to also consider because I like pepperoni and want that flavor so give it to meeeeee. Thanks for your time.

Blue Skies

Hello,

First post, new to jerky making, made about 10lbs of finished muscle and ground jerky so far (beef and venison), I do not have a smoker just a dehydrator and I want to do a true slim-Jim style of pepperoni stick, I have a LEM cannon and have read that I might be able to put a 10mm stuffing tip on my cannon? is this true? I wish to make 15mm cased pepperoni stick but I'm not interested in buying a stuffer just for pepperoni sticks if I cannot do with just the LEM Cannon at this time I just won't do it right now. And while I got your attention, what do you think is the best pepperoni stick seasoning? or recipe? , I read allot of seasoning reviews but most are not very informative with comments like "taste good" or "best yet" maybe "very tasty my family likes it" none of these say anything about the product and its authenticity to flavor and I want an authentic tasting SLIM-JIM or as close as possible, I will also use some in my regular ground jerky so thats something I have to also consider because I like pepperoni and want that flavor so give it to meeeeee. Thanks for your time.

Blue Skies
Can't help with the seasoning question, but i wil say the jerky cannon makes great caseless sticks. I use a stuffer for cased sausages.

I had to dig to find this... I went the opposite and stuffer first and gun later and I should have went with the gun. LOVE mine. I bought a 10mm stuffer tube for my stuffer and as fate woulds have it, it fits on my gun. WAAAAAY easier to stuff too. I have to really crank hard on the stuffer to use the 10mm but is effortless using the gun. One tip, use an ice cream scooper to load the gun. WRT to seasoning, there are a few DIY slim jim mixes here and other places but as a noob I suggest you try some premade. I am loving these as they pretty much guarantee success. I have not used it but Owens has a pepperoni and LOTS of guys here love Owens stuff including me. http://owensbbq.com/meat-stick-seasoning.html

Welcome to SMF!

Thanks for the help guys, I have this obsession now to make Faux Slim Jims I'm also interested in recreating Firecrackers•Bahama Mamas•Tijuana Mamas with the picking and spicy sausages ummmm!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky