Noob frustrated - can't get fire right.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The one benefit of having the basket hanging is that you can empty the ash tray in the middle of the smoke if you have to.

The way mine is setup I have small gardening shovel I use to clear the ashes.  I installed the 'legs' far enough apart I can still get in there and get some ashes out if I'm doing a really long smoke.

Last edited:
I got the same grill and made a basket for it here.........
608767f4_0913101250a.jpg

I have since scrapped the basket idea, I cut the sides off and left the legs and bottom. Then I put the factory grate on that, talk about a huge difference. I use lump charcoal and get at least a hour an a half out of a 1/2 o chimney. Plus I can cook for 12+ hours with no worries of ash building up under the coals. I believe the main problems are that the firebox doesn't really have alot of room for a basket and when you have a basket in there and pack the coals together you tend to starve the coals from air. I am alot happier with my smoke an pit now, then before hang in there and keep tweaking

I'd also look into a stoker fan setup if I were you.

They take a lot of fuss and bother out of maintaining accurate cooking temps. In fact it take all the fuss and bother out of it. All you gotta do is run out and add charcoal and wood chunks every couple of hours or so.

BTW I have some foil wrapped fire bricks I added to the cook chamber. They acatually make up my tuning plates and the added thermal mass helps keep things evened out over time too.  

See I like having to tinker with temp and stoking my own fire. 1 it gets me outside, 2 makes me feel like I am actually cooking and 3 it gets me reading some books. Call me weird but I just enjoy playing with the smoker!

Thanks again everyone.

I did a little more tinkering this weekend and I think I'm getting there.  Did another smoke this weekend (3 racks of ribs, 2 fatties and some smoked sausage) and fed an army of cigar smokers again... cigars, food, smoke - I think I see a theme here!  I'll post up a Q-View as soon as I can get the pics downloaded.

I was talking to Whitepony but you do have a point. LOL

Hi Dick,

Just as a helpful hint:

I have noticed in a few threads, it's hard to tell who you are talking to.

Sometimes people get in between the post you want to reply to and your reply.

If you want to reply directly to someone, try clicking on "Quote" at the bottom of that person's post.

Then you can put your reply right below what you are replying to.

If you want to just make a general statement, or a comment to all, then do what you have always been doing.

Hope that helps,

Bearcarver

Good tip.

This MB format is a bit different than the others I habit. Some are VB, some other formats.  I'm not sure yet but this one is really growing on me fast.
biggrin.gif

It could use a few more smileys but that about all I'd do with it so far.

Good tip.

This MB format is a bit different than the others I habit. Some are VB, some other formats.  I'm not sure yet but this one is really growing on me fast.
biggrin.gif

It could use a few more smileys but that about all I'd do with it so far.

Their working on that, I understand.

They pretty much come through with their promises. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky