Non salty ham rub needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masssmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Massachusetts
I am looking to double smoke a spiral sliced ham for Easter. I will follow Jeff's recipe for the most part, in terms of maple syrup. I need a zero salt rub, thinking it doesn't need sugar with the maple syrup on it. Any advice?

Reactions: KimberlyO
Here's what I used a while back . Glaze , not a rub .
1680825376211.jpeg

Reactions: sawhorseray
I don't rub double smoked hams, but I do glaze honey and root-beer. Not a big fan of tree pi$$.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I have a no salt rub . Like Chris I don't rub a double smoked ham . I can get it to you but it's not done with ham in mind . If you do that glaze scald the bourbon to get rid of the alcohol .

Reactions: gmc2003
I don't use a rub on double smoked ham, just a glaze toward the end, but you can substitute one of the no salt type substitutes (Pottasium Cloride) for the "real" salt if you just want the salty flavor. I started using it for a lot of things a few years ago for the Mrs' low sodium diet. You might cut back on the amount a little, though...

I am going to skip the rub and just figure out a glaze.
Lol . We flipped spots . I just trimmed up a 9 pounder . Went ahead and put a bit of low salt rub on the fatty spots .
Got a glaze started on the stove . Peach preserves , sticky pig mustard sauce and some brown sugar . I drank all the bourbon . Last night , not this morning . ( There was a time )

Reactions: sawhorseray
Lol . We flipped spots . I just trimmed up a 9 pounder . Went ahead and put a bit of low salt rub on the fatty spots .
Got a glaze started on the stove . Peach preserves , sticky pig mustard sauce and some brown sugar . I drank all the bourbon . Last night , not this morning . ( There was a time )
Which one of your many cookers are you using?

Rich, would you share this recipe?
Charles what do you have on hand ?

I do it all by taste . This morning I started with about ,
Half a jar of peach preserves , 18 oz. jar . So around 10 oz .
1/2 cup mustard BBQ sauce
Dump of brown sugar ( from the bag ) guessing 1/2 cup .
Simmered that and mixed .
I adjust for taste from there . I also sprinkled in a bit of rub .
Then added 2 or 3 TBLS of Apple cider vinegar to thin it .
I'll reheat and adjust again before I use it .

This is where it's at now . It's good . I like Chris's use of root beer .
1680966906597.jpeg

Charles what do you have on hand ?

I do it all by taste . This morning I started with about ,
Half a jar of peach preserves , 18 oz. jar . So around 10 oz .
1/2 cup mustard BBQ sauce
Dump of brown sugar ( from the bag ) guessing 1/2 cup .
Simmered that and mixed .
I adjust for taste from there . I also sprinkled in a bit of rub .
Then added 2 or 3 TBLS of Apple cider vinegar to thin it .
I'll reheat and adjust again before I use it .

This is where it's at now . It's good . I like Chris's use of root beer .
View attachment 662387
I have bourbon, maple syrup, apricot preserves, brown sugar, spicy brown mustard...

Reactions: chopsaw
I have bourbon, maple syrup, apricot preserves, brown sugar, spicy brown mustard...
Here's the thread I used that mix on . No real totals in there though . Looks like I also added some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce .

I started that by scalding the bourbon . Heat the pan , then pout the booze in OFF THE FLAME if you have a gas stove . Gets rid of the alcohol .
Bourbon I'll guess a cup ? Edit : Start with less , you can always add .
1/2 the jar of preserves
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 TBLS maple syrup
1 TBLS mustard
I would think that's a starting point , then adjust for the taste you want and thickness .
Apple cider vinegar was a good add . red wine vinegar would work too .
Just adjust for your taste .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky