Non Fat Dry Milk.. 2 types and which one is best for sausage making....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for posting Dave...

I dont totally agree with him because I have not had issues using Foodlion brand LFDM... It was used in my andouilli

Thanks for posting Dave...

I dont totally agree with him because I have not had issues using Foodlion brand LFDM... It was used in my andouilli

I wish I could say that I came up with all that on my own. Truth is I contacted the makers of the product and talked to them directly and read through countless science journals on the topic. The video was a more concise version of what I learned. I didn't want to believe it as first either but it's the facts...

(something to think about) In the video I stated that an experienced sausage maker can make a juicy sausage, with a great texture, and a snappy bite without the use of non fat dry milk. My guess is that you already know how to make sausages and you (like most experienced sausage makers) don't need non fat dry milk to make a great sausage. What i'm saying is that I'd be willing to bet that if you made that same andouille recipe without the Low Heat NFDM that you are using you would get the exact same results.

Imagine the results you would get if you used High Heat NFDM

I wish I could say that I came up with all that on my own. Truth is I contacted the makers of the product and talked to them directly and read through countless science journals on the topic. The video was a more concise version of what I learned. I didn't want to believe it as first either but it's the facts...

(something to think about) In the video I stated that an experienced sausage maker can make a juicy sausage, with a great texture, and a snappy bite without the use of non fat dry milk. My guess is that you already know how to make sausages and you (like most experienced sausage makers) don't need non fat dry milk to make a great sausage. What i'm saying is that I'd be willing to bet that if you made that same andouille recipe without the Low Heat NFDM that you are using you would get the exact same results.

Imagine the results you would get if you used High Heat NFDM

Thanks for the info

Well, heck,,, I’m going to have to try the “high heat” version To compare. I’ve always just used Carnation brand, guess I’m missing out, we shall see.

Well, heck,,, I’m going to have to try the “high heat” version To compare. I’ve always just used Carnation brand, guess I’m missing out, we shall see.
Carnation is what I used because that's what I found at the grocery.
I doubt there's an earth shattering difference, really.
I would keep using what you know works. I've seen your sausage and it looks really good.
Unless you just like to experiment ;-)

LOL. Where's was this video when I went down this rabbit hole? Cajuneric Cajuneric Great job! I see a 15m video and expect the typical drawn out lacking type thing. Not so! Great detail and enthusiasm AND seriously good content beyond typical sources. I could binge on stuff like this!

I couldn't agree more with Sam zwiller zwiller . I watched that all the way through . Extremely well done .
I started out with the Carnation brand , and still use it if I run out . I've never had a problem with it myself . Makes me wonder if it's high heat .
I've been using the Sausage maker brand for a long time now .
I stopped using it by a percentage . I add it in slowly with whatever liquid I'm using as I mix . When the meat paste gets tacky I stop adding it . I'm using all pork butt , and in my opinion the lean to fat ratio and the amount of salt in the mix changes for each batch . So more , or less binder and liquid may be needed . I've used to much , and not enough NFDM based on percentage measurements . Adding slowly gives me the results I'm looking for .

1633353242065.jpeg
I have also used SPC and SPI ( isolate )
I like the NFDM the best .

Adding slowly gives me the results I'm looking for .
I'm with you, Rich. I've seen recipes calling for a cup of NFDM or SPC for 5# which I think is too much.
I do my main mix the day before stuffing, let it set up in the fridge overnight and add the binder right before
stuffing a little at a time, adding liquid as needed. When it starts trying to pull the gloves off my hands I know it's ready.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky